MSE not removing eicar

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by overangry, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. overangry

overangry Registered Member

MSE not removing eicar(screen freeze)

Is anyone having this issue: MSE freezes when trying to remove the eicar test virus. It stalls during the cleanup and a reboot is required.
    Or is it just my systemo_O

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  2. roboris

roboris Registered Member

it did take me about 20 seconds to remove eicar test file with it, must be sending info over the network. Does it ask you for a reboot each time you delete it again?

3. overangry

No it hangs, waited but my system became unresponsive and had to be rebooted, this happened three times. This only appears to be the case with the eicar file.
    I did have prevx running, I don't believe there are any incompatibility issues as they are/were both working in harmony.
    But then you never knowo_O
    I have uninstalled MSE for know and I'll give it another try when it is out of beta.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Hold on, it works with everything else, yet you uninstalled it because it doesn't work with a test file..? Am I the only one that sees the flaw in this logic?

Oh, and not that it helps, but "works for me" (tm) takes about 5 sec.

5. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

well when he says everything else, he means every other test he has tried, and when an antivirus freezes up the computer when removing a simple test file, it may have problems removing real threats which are an actual danger.
    the problems in a beta aren't worth it to get software early IMO.

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Right, I assumed when he stated "everything else" it was real threats.

7. overangry

Correct.

But I believe to have found what went wrong. I was experimenting with some geswall 2.9 settings. It downloads a folder confidential to My Documents I placed some folders and files in this folder, amongst them my download folder.

MSE wasn't able to gain the required access, it seems that geswall prevented access to the file.

8. Windchild

Windchild Registered Member

When experiencing trouble with some security software, it's most often a good idea to try and check if the trouble might be caused by a conflict with some other security software. And when there's beta software involved, this is even more true. Good thing you were able to solve the issue. :)

9. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

MSE works fine with eicar on my Vista 64 machine. It identified and cleaned all the eicar site samples using Firefox 3.5.2. The compressed eicar samples were downloaded but detected upon decompressing zip.

My guess is a driver conflict for those whose computer hangs. (Not just with MSE but the major cause of other hangs as well)

SourMilk out

10. simisg

simisg Registered Member

mse working good only alone.... trust me try again without any other security software installed. You can install only a firewall if you want. Private firewall working good with mse.

11. overangry

You're right MSE is certainly a great AV and it's only in Beta.
    MSE works fine, it was a software conflict with Geswall that I caused.

I'd only realised my mistake after posting.

12. BG

BG Registered Member

MSE wouldn't even let me d/l it. Stopped it and ask to clean even beore I could continue the d/l. Tryed all 8 options on the eicar test page. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.