MSE detecting Chrome as PWS:Win32/Zbot

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by FanJ, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Not that it means anything, but a few days ago when my relative upgraded Google Chrome, Prevx did flag the installer as malicious as well. It actually flagged the latest two installers.

I'm going to see if my relative's MSE does flag Google Chrome in a bit, though. I don't want any surprises and complaints on my side. :D

3. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

It would be interesting to see google developing their own AV, and targeting Internet Explorer xD

4. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Strange. MSE is known for low false positive scores in tests. Here it is flagging a digitally signed file of a popular browser.

5. m0unds

m0unds Guest

i'd just be happy it didn't nuke windows datastores or something. of course, the support thread on google is rife with dummies talking about an anti-google conspiracy :rolleyes:

6. m00nbl00d

I can confirm that it does detect chrome.exe as PSW:Win32/Zbot in my relative's system.

I've already added it to the allowed items. I don't know what those folks did for MSE to remove Google Chrome? o_O

7. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

i'm using MSE and Chrome, both up to date. didn't had this detection until now.

8. m0unds

m0unds Guest

they clicked "remove", because that's what users do. they click things.

unless you meant MMPC folks, then i'm guessing it was a change to the zbot generic detection routine.

9. m00nbl00d

:D

This only proves that even antiviruses/antimalware apps are not tools for the Joes and Janes out there. :ouch:

10. m00nbl00d

No, I meant Google Chrome users complaining over Google's forum. I would expect that if people are aware of forums, etc., they would at least be aware that this or that detection could be a false detection and ask in the forum what was wrong with it.

I know some of my relatives are not aware of Google's forum. They only know about facebook. :D But, I do know that if something was flagged as a virus (the word they know), then they would come to me. :argh:

11. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

The definition for PWS:Win32/Zbot was updated today [30 September]; the definition number is 1.113.631.0. If PWS:Win32/Zbot is detecting Chrome still, it's that definition update that is causing it.

12. m0unds

m0unds Guest

lol, yeah - i reread what you said and thought that you mighta meant the MMPC dudes.

the "computer savvy" people on the google support thread are worse than regular users. regular users think there could be a threat and freak out over it, asking for help. the "savvy" users are the ones who spread conspiracy FUD because they're confident that they're not clueless, but to anyone with any experience or common sense, they're just as bad if not worse :D

13. m0unds

m0unds Guest

weird, several users were reporting no problems with .631.0, but saw the zbot detection with .656 which doesn't have any changes to the zbot signature.

*edit*

Good on 'em for identifying and fixing it already. http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?name=PWS:Win32/Zbot

14. varunit

varunit Registered Member

LOL really funny :D

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Explorer is already the most targeted,so let them bring it.:p

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

At least detect IE 6, which is obviously malware-prone lol.

17. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yeah, seems this issue was fixed in an MSE update before this thread was even made so.. o_O

18. m00nbl00d

No, the new malware definition update solving Google Chrome's false positive was issued after the thread was started.

As soon as I saw this thread (the Wilderssecurity's thread created by user FanJ), I turned on my relative's computer, updated MSE, just to be sure it was fully up-to-date, and then performed a manual scan of the Google Chrome directory. MSE flagged chrome.exe. After that, I added it to the exclusion list.

19. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I guess I got lucky, either I missed that definition update and jumped straight to the new one or it simply wasn't flagged for me.

20. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

21. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Google Chrome Blog

22. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Phew! I have missed all of this. It is rare for MSE to have false-positives but there is a certain black humour about it removing Chrome inadvertently.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  23. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Google Chrome Releases Blog:
    http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.