msconfig

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by maxoblivion, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxoblivion

maxoblivion Registered Member

I have an entry in msconfig/Startup with a check in a box but blank space under Item and Location. Has anyone seen this sort of thing before? I'm wondering if it might be related to my win32/trojandownloader.zlob.bfl infestation. SC_Keylog has been detected by both Counterspy and Spyware Doctor (not Spysweeper or NOD32) and each time it is removed, it reappears within a day. I'm wondering if it's reinstalled at startup. Interesting to me is the detected location of SC_Keylog, a desktop shortcut to an Excel spreadsheet. Each time it reappears, the location is the same shortcut.

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have seen blank entries in msconfig before also, and they're not necessarily related to anything bad. If you scan completely with a few programs and you're clean, I wouldn't worry much about it...

4. maxoblivion

maxoblivion Registered Member

I'm going to uncheck it and see what happens.

5. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Best bet imho, after scanning as suggested, if that doesn't solve the problem, is to upload a HJT log to one of the sites that analyses and helps with malware removal, they will tell you if anything untoward is lurking.

6. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi max.

I have Adobe Acrobat (not Reader) installed. It creates a blank entry in HKLM\Run (msconfig startup) for [SIZE=-1]Adobe Speed Launch. I have disabled the entry, and Adobe launcher doesn't start when I boot my rig anymore. Now, why exactly is it showing as a blank entry, I have no idea o_O

This is just an example, as your blank entry may not have anything to do with Acrobat. Anyway, I also don't feel it's anything malicious, it could very well be a remnant of an unproper uninstallation where registry 'run' keys were improperly updated/deleted.
    [/SIZE]

7. HAN

HAN Registered Member

From time to time, I've had some blank entries too. In my case, I have always gone to the registry where the blank is located and if the entry is truly of no use (which to date, they have all been), I have deleted it. IMO, these entries crop up from software installations or removals.

I'm about as sure as I can ever be that mine were never malware related. But YMMV, so my method may not work for you...

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I have seen this entry the first time after I installed WGA Notification on one of the machines. As a side note, it's worth noting that WGA Notification is since long gone, but it was a lesson in legit spyware.

I'm not sure if the two are related, but the blank entry coincided with the WU.

Mrk

9. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

I have had them myself. In my case they were related to my HP printer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.