msconfig start up entries

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rwinegar, Oct 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rwinegar

rwinegar Registered Member

New guy here.

I just installed Acronis True Image. I hope it works when I need it.

I noticed two new entries in msconfig start up. They are schedhlp and TrueImageMonitor. I absolutely hate it when programs do this. I like to keep msconfig as clean as possible.

Can I remove these two items and what are the consequences if I do? Will anything important stop working?

Thanks

2. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

im the same way but when it comes to programs like go-back and norton ghost i think true image might be the same way

plus geting rid of stuff useing msconfig is bad

i go to a place called black vipers and i learn how to make my pc faster

3. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello rwinegar,

Welcome to Wilders!!!

THIS THREAD should give you your answers...

HTH...

4. rwinegar

Thanks for the responses.

Well I guess that answers my question. But I am not too satisfied with the answer. If every program in my computer ran that many processes, it would be so bogged down that it wouldn't be able to run. I will need to take this into consideration and warn others if I recommend this program to anyone. In my opinion this is just bad programming.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rwinegar,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/).

"In my opinion this is just bad programming." - no comments.

And no thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

6. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Registered Member

rwinegar,

Why not uncheck all acronis links in msconfig and run that way. Then check the links, reboot, do manual backup, then uncheck the links again. Seems that way you could run clean normally and still have TrueImage capability.

Edit: I never used the scheduler and I just checked my msconfig. I don't see any links for TrueImage there. It looks like it does not put links in msconfig unless the scheduler is used.

Skyhawk

7. rwinegar

Skyhawk, what version are you running? I am running version 8.0. Maybe older versions do not run all these processes. If that is correct, it would be good reason to stick with the older version.

I have never used scheduler for any purpose. But, I am told that it is required for TI to run properly.

After reading through this thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=48956&highlight=startup
    it is quite apparant that other users are also questioning the necessity of these processes. Acronis should take this into consideration in designing the next version.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Jeez! Come on guys - life is too short to worry such minor things. It's not as if these 3 TSRs are big resource huggers: total peak memory usage = 6MB, dropping to 3.3MB (and no CPU time) when not being used. If you care to check your running process in Task Manager you'll probably find far worse culprits than TI.

Regards

9. rwinegar

Menocaman you are not quite correct. You seem to imply that 6MB - 3.3MB is nothing. But it certainly is. Imagine if you will that every program in your computer ran those kind of processes. It wouldn't run. As far as "far worse culprits" - not in my computer. I have 22 processes running and they are all necessary for the functioning of my computer or other hardware. They are no more culprits to my computer than wheels and brakes are to my car. Too many software companies insist on installing processes when they are not necessary. These are the culprits. Most of these can be shut down. The three running processes with TI, however, seem to be necessary for the program to function properly.

If I want to use TI I guess I must accept this fact, but I do not need to be happy about it.

10. Skyhawk

I thought the download said TI8, build 774 but I just checked the about and it says TI8, build 764.
    Skyhawk

11. Skyhawk

Menorcaman,
    If you are running realtime video editing with multiple streams of audio and video with realtime effects, filters, slomo, etc., then you would realize the importance of not having "anything" unnecessary running in the background. It can make the difference in not dropping video frames, having pops/crackles in the audio, losing audio/video synch, etc..
    Best regards,
    Skyhawk

12. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

13. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Don't HOPE. If you cannot restore the image file NOW, then try another software. Drive Snapshot runs in windows and does NOT auto load in MSCONFIG. The program is less than 200K. Bootit NG does not run in windows, but it is a very stable imaging software. Bootit also includes a partitioning software for $35. You can try both Snapshot and Bootit for FREE.

14. Menorcaman

Hi Skyhawk

Clearly, your computing requirements are different to mine. If you're interested in stopping as many uneccessary (for your situation) Windows internal services as possible then it's worth having a look at Black Vipers excellent web site. It includes separate info on Win2K and WinXP (recently updated for SP2) in an easy to read table format. Having compared the latest table with an earlier version, it's clear that WinXP SP2 has, by default, disabled many of the previous services started automatically by Win SP1a.

Anyway, happy TI imaging (and not too much restoring I hope!!).

Kind regards

15. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

16. Skyhawk

Thanks for the tip. Disabling everything in msconfig start up tab except what is essential for my video editing software, plus disabling certain things in the services tab, allows realtime video editing to work good for me. But I'll check out the link you gave for additional ideas.

And AJohn, thanks for your link too.

Best regards,
    Skyhawk

17. John Farrar

John Farrar Guest

Skyhawk
    Have you considered setting up a dual boot system, one for most things and one for your video editing? That is what I want to do with OS Selector although that is proving more tricky than it should be (see thread in other forum) With one OS hidden from the booted one there should be no problems with background processes impinging on your RT editing.

I use a Storm2 with Edius 2.51 by the way.
    Cheers
    John

18. Menorcaman

Hi AJohn,

Thanks also for the link - I've downloaded Safe XP. It looks like a useful little free utility to have around :cool:

Regards

19. Skyhawk

Hi John,
    I have two PCs.
    - One is for video editing only and is a triple boot WinXP Pro system. Have Premiere Pro in boot-1, Premiere 6.5 in boot-2, and Liquid Edition in boot-3. Use the Matrox RTX100 for boot-1 and boot-2. Also have Vegas in boot-1 and boot-2.

- Other is also a triple boot. It is used as a backup incase the primary PC goes down and for everything else like internet, contracts, client correspondence, brochures, etc.

Both are networked together so it's easy to transfer files back & forth.
    Thanks,
    Skyhawk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.