MSAS B1 vs Spy Sweeper

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JerryM, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have both MSAS and SS on a computer. The number of "things" scanned is very different.

MSAS Scan Results
    Memory 1387 locations
    Files 25,814 locations
    Reg 9,772 locations checked

Spy Sweeper results
    Memory Items 1,563
    File/Folders 71,389
    Reg Items 75,963

That seems to be a large difference, and I am not sure what it means. I notice that the MSAS uses the term "locations" while Spy Sweeper used "items".

Do these results indicate that Spy Sweeper is much more thorough in the scan or is it terminology?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

These scanners all count things differently.

If you scan a folder that has 3 sub-folders in it, what have you scanned? One item (the main folder), 3 items (the sub-folders) or 4 items (all the folders)?

It is better to concentrate on what a scanner can pick up, rather than the statistics of what it says it scans.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, that is about what I figured, and have seen the same thing addressed with AV.

I was really hoping that MSAS would continue to be a good option for one who is not a geek. Beta 1 is/was, but with Defender Beta 2 I think it is over my head in the Beta form.

I think I will stay with CS on my laptop, and use Spysweeper on my desktop.
    In time maybe Defender will be a good option and remain free, which has been promised I think.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.