MS7 - Admin/User Desktops - Anyone Have A Clue?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DasFox, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Anyone know what MS is planning for the Admin/User desktop & rights on this OS?

All I can say is they better get the Admin/User desktop situation squared away. This is MS' biggest failure letting people run a box as an Admin.

I hope they're going to make 7 more like Unix, run as a User, then prompted either by GUI or CLI to get Admin access and as simple and as painless as the Unix/Linux way too, then goodbye most of the problems with malware we've seen... ;)

So anyone know what they're planning here for this?

2. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

I don't want more UAC-style crappiness personally.

If I log in with account belonging to admin group, then I surely expect to be able to do whatever I desire to do, w/o getting any prompts or even restrictions as are now in place, for example in Vista you have to run command prompt with Run as Admin to get anything done ... I feel quite impotent when using Vista.

Regular users should of course be running restricted accounts.

When I am admin, I expect to be treated as such. Powerful account yes, with much chances for doing damage, but then again I do know what I'm doing :) (and if I don't, then I'll have enough time to contemplate on the error of my ways while I do a reinstall)

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I agree, I don't want Microsoft telling me how to run my machine. Give me the tools, make them understandable. It's my machine, my choice on how to run it.

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

To Peter's reply, yes, and to lordpake's you don't seem to understand the Unix way.

In Unix/Linux there is no UAC-style crappiness.

Unix/Linux is simply the best way in which you run a system, as a user, then when you need root access you simply open a Terminal, type 'su' the command for superuser, then give the password and BINGO you are now an Admin on the User desktop with all the control you need.

This is by no means UAC-style crappiness, and this is the way MS needs to start making their OS behave, because if we continue down this same path of just logging into Admin accounts and running a box this way, there is only going to be more problems.

In Unix/Linux there's the GOLDEN RULE, you never login as root, and you never go online as root! This is the best way, there is nothing to argue about this, yet in Windows people do the exact opposite, and this is the problem.

5. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

I don't use, have never used, and in all likelyhood will not be using any *nix variants any time soon. So no, I don't understand it. I'm product of the Windows world :)

When I login as 'root', aka administrator in Windows world, I want to have all of the system at my command. Vista is restricting this. Why it's doing such is probably the reason you mentioned, too many (uneducated users) use Windows daily with admin privileges when not needed.

We don't need Unix style here, what we need is software devs moving to direction supporting restricted accounts and, most importantly, we need MS to change the process of creating user accounts after install.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

one of the other problems with vista UAC is that installers open up help files in internet explorer at the end of the install as administator!
    plus with open office if i use the option in the file menu open in internet explorer IE is administrator.

at PDC 2008 microsoft finaly gave a talk about how to created applications to run under limited rights.

7. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

The Unix concept is that any user is able to install applications, just not system wide. For system wide installations you need admin privileges. Non-system wide installations would reside in the user folder, including settings files.
    Also, the user is able to configure personal settings to his liking, system settings on the other hand require admin privileges.

What I mean to say is that using a Unix/Linux workstation doesn't feel like being restricted or mandated.
    A regular user isn't able to make system wide modifications, and malware run by them isn't either.

This concept is different from running as admin and being warned anytime you modify the system.

8. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.