MS Windows Defender beta 2 out

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by WSFuser, Feb 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Link - i didnt find a change log nor is it listed at the Microsoft web site yet. any opinions welcomed.

2. SwordOfSecurity

SwordOfSecurity Registered Member

well its great that they finally released the second beta! the 1st beta was starting to get a bit crummy :rolleyes: but anyway, all the info is out right now (including on the forums and the official microsoft homepage) but strangely my own copy of ms antyspyware (beta 1) hasn't detected the update yet :blink: despite this rather odd event that usually happens to my copy of ms antispyware, i look forward for the new changes coming up

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I am doing a full scan as I speak fifty five minutes and still going. The first thing that I see is that the UI has been simplified, I think a bit over simplified.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

would u (or anyone else) mind posting some screenshots

5. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

6. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Is this the same as Microsoft anti spyware?

7. donsan

donsan Registered Member

from what i read on thier web site it is the same and it will uninstall your old program for you when you install beta 2. the one thing i noticed is that you don't have this new program in your sytem tray i find that kind of strange.

8. shoe

shoe Registered Member

That answers my question

9. GUI_Tex

GUI_Tex Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  10. Carver

Carver Registered Member

When I was there so did the Microsoft site.

I agree.
    -------------

11. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

i downloaded it and tried it. the one thing i noticed is that is does not have the tracks eraser function anymore, where as the antispyware beta 1 used to have that under it's advanced tools.

12. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Strange Error message during upgrading Windows Defender beta 2 over M$ Anti-Spyware Beta 1. The same happened when I uninstalled the M$ Anti-Spyware Beta 1 first before the Windows Defender beta 2 installing. So I couldn't install the whole proggie at all.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

13. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

I installed the new beta 2 to see what had improved, and frankly I'm horrified. It looks like MS have taken a perfectly good product (Giant Antispyware) and dumbed it down so much that you really can't tell what it's doing any more and the lack of configurability is ridiculous. The UI is awful and has no intuitive features at all - "every Windows app shall have a File menu and on that menu shall be an Exit command..." - so they've binned the common UI, a definite retrograde step.

Plus, as has already been observed, the tray icon has vanished, which isn't very reassuring, particularly as Windows Defender isn't integrated into the Security Center yet. So you have to have faith that it's running, which isn't quite right, is it?

I guess the upside is that now they've rendered it impotent, there will be loads of new business to be had by Counterspy, Spysweeper and the like... :eek:

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Windows Defender Beta 2 Wipes Malware in Real Time

Story

15. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

my icon is showing

16. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Than quite obviously, you have MSAS, not Defender

Alphalutra1

17. rollers

rollers Registered Member

I tried it briefly..................wow it uses rather a lot of resources and puts a few running processes in.........even though nothing shows in the task bar.
    I uninstalled very soon after installing. Whats the point of having a fast machine and then putting loads of stuff on that slows it down and drains its efficiency.

18. metallicakid15

no mines showing..... its a wall with a green check mark under it, first icon starting from the left on the lower right hand corner

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2006
  19. metallicakid15

im sure this is enough proof...

20. SwordOfSecurity

SwordOfSecurity Registered Member

agreed 100% ....the degrading they've done is huge :isay: ..all the nice tools and flexibility of the beta 1 ms antispyware have completely vanished when i thought they would be improved. i sure hope they're planning a beta3 or something ---but either way, i will continue to use "Windows Defender" for now and see how it performs.

that happened to me for a bit during setup and updating, but after a while it will disappear and show only once ever now and then for alerts.

21. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Updated version .
    @ SwordOfSecurity : You thought M$ would improve this ? And you come from planet what ?? I said a long time back , somewhere in this forum , that M$ will screw it up . Just give them time . Still in beta and they are going backward . For anyone to expect anything other than this needs to move on to another platform .
    Honestly , no harm to you SoS . Really . I am just trying to make a point . M$ always makes things with holes . They bought this from Giant and I said it was only a matter of time . Giant made it into a great product . M$ will screw it up ! Period !!
    @ FF : If you have PG installed , disable it and then click retry . The 1609 is typical for this . However ; it seems the message is something else OTHER than PG . Just a suggestion anyway . Good luck

22. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I agree with much of what has been said so far. They have dumbed it down too much for the intermediate and advanced users but is this who it's been designed for (i.e., isn't the target audience of this software the average user - install, forget, and hopefully protect)?

Addtionally, many people are saying it's screwed up, ruined, etc. The goal is to stop spyware; does it still do this and do so effectively? If it does, then it may still be a useful tool for many people (especially, if it remains free), regardless of the interface.

23. GUI_Tex

so.. will they still release detection updates for microsoft antispyware beta1? :rolleyes:

24. GUI_Tex

Oh wait.. they're microsoft and there's an expiration date, so most likely it's a diffenate no. :'(

25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.