MS updates

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Acadia, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Let's say you decided to renew your system afresh, that is, start over to clean things up. So you reinstall Windows, then you have to get caught up with Microsoft's Windows updates. Would you feel safe jumping straight to Microsoft and downloading the updates without first installing an antivirus and other security programs? I am behind a router.

Actually I will be doing this inside of a FirstDefense Snapshot but pretend that this is a pc without FirstDefense.

Thanks,
    Acadia

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

If behind router then yes as it would significantly reduce the risk + windows firewall on

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have reinstalled Windows many times, and never bothered to install straight away any security except as mentioned by Cudni the firewall which is automatically functional with Windows. Theoretically there's a remote possibility for the Windows updates site to be hacked, but that would be a really rare occurrence. Installing an antivirus would also delay Windows updates download speed which is already tedious per se.

4. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Or you can download the KB installers and have them at hand without the need to go online.

I do this instead of auto update.

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

But one must still go online to download the installers.

Acadia

6. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Didn't make myself clear.

Instead of downloading/installing updates thru AU every 2nd Tuesday, download the updates thru MS's Catalog site every month.

Even if you don't do updates this way, if you have a 2nd system - whatever the OS is, you can collect the updates this way for the fresh system - provided of course you've kept a list of what the updates were.

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

thanks, zcv, sounds like a good idea

Acadia

8. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.