MS Updates

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Serapis, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serapis

Serapis Registered Member

recently Ive been annoyed at the never endless updates that Microsoft keeps dishing out. more than half of these are irrelevant and a waste of space; they also cause glitches and problems too. Its so tedious reading about what each one fixes or not, and whether I should get it. I have decided to turn off updating altogether.

I am using Sandboxie which should protect againt the scourge of exploits whether known or not. So what do you guys think? Is it ok or not to do so?
    Note that Im not using Firefox, so that should keep me safer.

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Usually recommended updates are important patches to the system, especially when they are available at unusual times (normally the second Tuesday, monthly). With Vista and Windows 7 restore points are created automatically so if you have any problems they can be easily undone. I personally see updates as an important feature, but ultimately it is up to you to decide, Windows will go on working even without updates, and Sandboxie will protect you no matter what. Updates specially for Vista and Window 7 are also meant to improve the system, not only for protection.

3. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

4. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

don't miss your updates.....is a vip.

5. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

From the Sandboxie FAQ Virus:

6. Serapis

Thanks for your responses, I have decided to download updates to my system (all the security ones anyways) I have realized a significant system slowdown almost doubling of my boottime, is this normal?

I have tried to get vista sp1 but it tells me all "important" updates have to be donwloaded first. So in regards to security patching am I ok, or does sp1 contain more patches security-wise? I realized that critical security ones from this october were available regardless of me not having sp1

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

For the record, Vista should download SP1 and SP2. If you were running Vista without SP1, I can assure you that the performance of your computer will improve dramatically. Most of the carping criticism at Vista was before SP1, with SP2 IMO it has matured completely. You should let it download whatever it says as important or recommended. Sometimes it stops installing, and after a reboot if you prompt for new updates, it might go on (SP1 and SP2 + other updates you might be downloading for hours, depending on your connection speed).

8. Serapis

Thanks Osaban, Ive decided to bite the bullet and just download all updates. A related question though; are Office updates as significant? does office interact with the kernel? Sandboxie covers everything except kernel exploits according to testing of the EOT exploit on SBIE forum. Thats what moved me to update in the first place. However if office is deeply integrated in the system I would update it too...

Now another issue (but not affecting me); my uncle's computer - running vista- had the MS update history file (datastore.edb) corrupted which would not let windows update. So I deleted it and everything now update component works fine except the update history is completely reset. It requires him to donwload all updates including things that have been downloaded before. Now if he has to download everything again, will that rewrite the existing updates or are they stuck in limbo on the hdd?

9. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

yes Office updates are significant as they on occasion fix vulnerabilities. As for you uncle's comp the WU will only install the updates that are outstanding

this might come in hand in future if you WU needs resetting
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.