MS Security Essentials will not install

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DCM, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCM

DCM Registered Member

I have been unable to update my Microsoft Security Essentials. It stops before finalizing and says that the process failed.

Finally, I uninstalled it and downloaded it again. This time, it looked like it was doing OK and then a window pops up asking for the location of some file.

It seems like the program should be self contained because when I originally installed it several months ago, it installed quickly with no problems.

Also, when I try to install other downloaded software (not Microsoft) a window pops up asking for the installaiton CD. This happens on almost everything I try to download and install and I cannot figure out why it is doing this after all these years.

Is this a Windows 7 problem or is it related to something else?

Thanks

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I don't know how relevant this is but I have had the same problem a couple of times on Win 7 (64 bit) & Vista (32 bit). I just closed the MSE GUI & re-opened it a few minutes later & it worked fine. IMHO it's either some bug in MSE 2 or something to do with the update servers.

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Always worth checking your computer time/date is correct. I was trying to install MSE for a friend with no luck, then I realised the date was wrong on his pc.

No problem with install once that was sorted.

5. Daveski17

Again, I'm not sure exactly how relevant this is to the OP but I have noticed on my Vista 32 bit laptop that the MSE systems tray icon stays red sometimes on start-up & I can't even enable real-time protection with the MSE GUI. Inevitably I have to kill it in task manager & re-boot. This normally fixes the issue, I never had this problem with MSE #1. I wonder if there is a bug MS aren't owning up to?

My 64 bit desktop (Win 7) often has this slight lagging 'red' problem on start-up although it always eventually turns green. This 'lag' is not unknown on 64 bit systems apparently.

Considering what happened to the original poster I am not inclined to attempt a clean install. Perhaps it's time to move to avast!

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's see if we can help the original poster with his problem here.

7. Daveski17

OK Ron. It's just my odd sense of humour again ;). I can't help feeling that the problem the OP is having is related in some way to some of the strange things happening to MSE 2 on start-up for me. Plus I have had identical experiences with updating problems. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I have a feeling MS aren't telling us something. I never had any problems like this with MSE 1.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The problems may be due to a conflict with existing security programs that may be installed.

We should wait for the original poster to post more information if need be.

9. DCM

DCM Registered Member

The only security software installed on my computer is the Windows 7 firewall and when I successfully installed Microsoft Security Essentials originally, this was not a problem.

I also tried to install it in safe mode but a message pops up saying that it connot be installed in safe mode.

I tried all the suggestions on the Microsoft site from the link above but none worked. It said that if they do not work and that I should call Microsoft. I have not called them in years and at that time, it seemed that they are not serious about anyone calling and asking for help.

Maybe I will have to give up and try another program. It may have to be Avast or Avira because when I tried to install the AVG free program, it also will not install.

I did notice that Microsoft Security Defender is on my computer when a red icon appeared on the system try and said that I needed to scan the computer. I did that from that Icon but cannot find that program in my C:\Programs folder, the "start" key and then searching for it, and looking for it in my uninstaller program. I do not know where this came from but maybe it is the problem.

The time and date are OK on my computer so I will try some of the other suggestions.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  10. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.