MS Security Essentials is evil!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ratchet, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I'd been using Avast Home Edition without any issues on a Vista laptop. Shortly after MS SE was released, I figured I'd give it a spin since it was receiving pretty good reviews. I decided to drop SE and go back to Avast but have twice tried to install Avast and it wrecks my system or slows it to a crawl. For the first uninstall of SE, about a week ago, I used its uninstaller and tried to install Avast but nothing on the whole PC functioned. Fortunately AyRecovery saved my butt. So today I decided to try the Avast beta, only this time I used App Remover, which searches for and removes security software, including any leftovers, to uninstall SE. So after I uninstalled it I scanned again with AppR and it came up clean. The beta seemed to install and update normally but within about 10 minutes of a couple of browsing sessions, I basically could not open any sites, both sandoxed (Sandboxie) and unsandboxed. I don't know what the heck is going on here but I might be stuck with SE forever at this rate!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

3. JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld Registered Member

4. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

or you can try from a MVP colleague of mine this fix which will reset all the Registry and other settings of Microsoft Security Essentials to default value.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-microsoft-security-essentials-with-fix-mse-utility#more-4384

5. ratchet

Thank you all!

6. simisg

simisg Registered Member

MS Security Essentials is evil! is a stupid title......

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well I agree, it is evil. Evil to malware.:thumb:

8. ratchet

I happen to think it's pretty clever but definitely think it's lame to even comment on it. Please get a life!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.