MS Excel 2003 reporting Anti-Virus problem

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by webyourbusiness, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I recently upgraded the MS Office on a machine here and I was using it to compile a spreadsheet last night. On opening MS Excel, I noticed a strange error saying that the installed AV software would not allow the opening of the blank workbook - but it opened anyway.

Last night I saved my work, and attempted to resume it this morning - up comes a window within MS Excel with the following:

I've tried turning OFF NOD32 and the error still comes up - any ideas if this is just windows reporting wrong error, or if there is something I can do to get this document open - with about 3 hours into it, I'd really NOT like to start again!

2. webyourbusiness

I should have added that I am running the 2.12.3 NOD32 with current definitions, and I also read the MS knowledgebase article - it wasn't any help!

3. webyourbusiness

Additional information

There are ZERO new entries in the NOD23 log files relating this. The last entry concerning gethostbyname failing would be caused by me configuring a new router yesterday. The machine has been rebooted a number of time since.

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Webyourbusiness,

We you say that you're turning off NOD32, are you actually turning it off or are you simply shutting down the GUI? If you are only taking out the GUI, the main AV service is still active.

Try either of the following:

a. Reboot, bring the NOD32 Control Center up, and disable AMON, IMON, and DMON. See if you can load the file now.

b. Run msconfig (Start>Run> type in msconfig, then Enter). When the System Configuration Utility pops up, Select the tab labelled Services. Upcheck the entry NOD32 Kernel Service. If you can see it quickly, click on the Manufacturer column and look at the entries with "Unknown" listed as the manufacturer. Now select the tab labelled Startup. Uncheck the entry nod32kui. Click Apply, OK, and when the dialog pops up requesting a reboot, do so. This will bring your PC up with NOD32 completely disabled. On reboot, you'll also have a dialog box noting that you are running with changes made to the startup. Windows will notify you of the changes made every time you reboot the computer. To prevent Windows from notifying you of these changes, click to select the check box provided that will hide this notice. See if you can load the file now. To undo the changes, go though the instructions again and check the boxes originally unchecked.

Blue

5. webyourbusiness

"Panic" over...

I had tried msconfig to remove the NOD32 processes, services and startups - I had also used the GUI to stop all of the services... still nothing.

The problem? Norton 2003 was back on the machine!

I had personally removed it, gone through 2 reboots, removed the NAV, removed Liveupdate, removed the other symantec junk - rebooting several times along the way.

I'm not sure how it was back, but NAV was STILL showing in the add/remove programs, although I am 99% sure that it wasn't last weekend. NOD32 has been on this machine for a month now, and this is the first symptom of problem.

I'll continue to attempt to find out how/why NAV returned, but it wasn't running the NAV completely up - so it may remain a mystery.... anyway - that's a symptom of having two real time scanners with MS Office 2003 - anti-virus errors on startup of at least Excel.

Can we add to the NOD32 wishlist a pre-install - or - post-install analysis - to just run and check for remnants of "other" AV solutions? The diagnostics would be really useful... just a thought.

thanks

Greg Hewitt-Long

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.