ms dos partition not recognized by os selector

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by kite, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kite

kite Guest

hi,

had my first experience with acronis os-selector this weekend. i have a notebook with 3 operating systems: windows xp prof the first primary partition formatted with ntfs, ms-dos 7.1 on the second primary partition formatted with fat16 and suse linux personal on a logical partition within the extended partition.

weird things, that acronis os-selector perfectly recognizes windows xp and suse linux, but not the fat16 partition with ms-dos 7.1. it does however write a bootwiz-directory on the ms-dos partition.

what can i do about this? is there a way to tweak acronis os-selector myself to make that ms-dos partition bootable from within acronis os-selector? is there a way to add an operating system manually to acronis os-selector?

thanks.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kite,

Thank you for using Acronis software (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/).

Please contact support@acronis.com and write that you want to contact Michael Gilkin. Please provide us with Acronis report file:

Please download Acronis Report utility available at http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it, create a report and send it to support@acronis.com. This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Please also include the link to this thread into your request.

Thank you.

--
    Andrew Berezovsky

3. kite

kite Guest

A message with url's and attached report.txt was sent to support@acronis.com.

thanks for your effort.

4. Tattenbach

Tattenbach Guest

If the DOS partition is bootable then you can use Linux to extract the bootsect.bin file from it. Place this file in your windows XP and modfy boot.ini file to include a reference to it. Then, everytime you boot you can select your DOS partition from the XP boot manager.

Information on how to do this can be found in Internet but if you are interested i could give you more details.

Terabyte Unlimited´s Bootitng could save you all this process. OSL2000 can do the same. Both are easily configurable.

Regards

5. kite

kite Guest

thanks for your tip. however i was already aware of this. an even easier way to extract the first 512 bytes of a disk is by the dos-program: bootpart.

6. Tattenbach

Tattenbach Guest

FreeDos containg the file oscheck.com that will do the same as bootpart.

If you knew all this, why couldn`t you boot your dos partition using the NT/XP boot manager (boot.ini)?

Is it really bootable? (have you "sysed" it?)

7. Tattenbach

Tattenbach Guest

typo...

FreeDos contains the file oscheck.com that will do the same as bootpart.

If you knew all this, why couldn`t you boot your dos partition using the NT/XP boot manager (boot.ini)?

Is it really bootable? (have you "sysed" it?)

8. kite

kite Guest

the ms-dos partitition is perfectly bootable. the boot.ini setup with nt os-loader works fine.

i want to have it handled by acronis os-selector. the problem is that acronis os-selector doesn't recognize/configure the fat16 ms-dos partition.

that's the problem i described in my original post...

there has been communication between acronis and me about this. i was promised, there will be an update of disk director suite with an updated os-selector in a few days.

9. Tattenbach

Tattenbach Guest

Glad to know that the people in Acronis are supporting you. Now, you just need to wait. And see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.