mru blaster trying to use the internet

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by sd0, May 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sd0

sd0 Guest

My firewall just informed me that MRU Blaster was trying to use my
    internet connection. I am curious as to why. Please let me know.

Thanks.

sd0

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

MRU-Blaster shouldn't be using the Internet at all. o_O

In fact, it doesn't even employ any Internet connection libraries, nor does it have any code to connect to the Internet, or send/receive data.

I'd highly recommend that you try uninstalling and reinstalling MRU-Blaster. It is possible that something replaced the executable. (There is also a small chance that something is wrong with your firewall, but I would look into that last. What firewall are you using, and what version? - i.e. is it the latest version of the firewall that's available?)

EDIT: If you have a program like Tiny Trojan Trap, it might notify you that the MRU-Blaster Scheduler, if you have that enabled, is trying to start mrublaster.exe (which is its purpose, of course) but no components of MRU-Blaster can/should be connecting to the net.

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. sd1

sd1 Guest

Thanks for the reply. This hasn't happened before, so I thought it best to
    let you know. I have now uninstalled (add/remove) and re-installed MRU Blaster
    (v1.5, 4/28/03 db), and I will let you know if this happens again.

Meanwhile, for your information, here is the firewall (zone alarm) log entry:
    PE,2003/05/11,11:49:03 -4:00 GMT,MRU-Blaster v1.5,207.172.4.95:110,N/A

It looks like the IP address to which the contact was attempted was
    207.172.4.95:110. Does this ring any bells with anyone? It could provide
    a clue as to what was going on.

Thanks.

sd

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

That IP is identified as part of RCN's network (www.rcn.com - provides cable TV and other services).

Perhaps it was a misidentification by your firewall? Were you trying to do any other internet activities at the time? (Such as sending or receiving e-mail perhaps?)

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. sd1

sd1 Guest

Hmmm. I believe my ISP is part of the RCN network. I don't usually allow any auto stuff in order
    to avoid potential conflicts/overlaps. However, it is certainly possible (and maybe even likely in
    this case) that I was doing an MRU cleanup (I have a silent shortcut sitting on my desktop so
    that I can use it easily and frequently without being in auto mode) at the same time an older
    check-for-email connection fired (since I have my email coming in through mailwasher, it is not
    always instantaneous). That would explain it. Thanks for the detective work!

Regards,

sd0/1

6. Imp

Imp Registered Member

Hello,
    I got myself often time programs trying to connect to internet, in fact I noticed it's look like a routine from Microsoft windows, as the address requested is always the same ( 220.00) something.
    We told me in a french security site it was a routine to know which program is used in a computer, I don't iknow how and what for , only thing for sure is the connexion is never up than 44 bytes .....
    o_O o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.