MRU Blaster - Cookie Blaster

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by meandor, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meandor

meandor Registered Member

A newbie here, I just downloaded and started using the Blaster.
    I have an problem or two. On boot up I'm receiving the following message:

The Cookie Blaster Plug-in can't find your Internet Explorer Cookie Folder

Upon checking the settings in CBPin the location is:
    C:\Documents & Settings\Owner\Cookies.
    This is the location of one of my Cookie folders. (It's the only one with an Index.dat 16KB file in it.)

The other problem, the Scheduler Icon is showing in my Notification Tray
    but I can't open it. Initially I could and it was set for Timer Enable 15 min.
    I would like to be able to alter the time.
    Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Meandor, welcome to the forums....

OK, first, Cookies... the Index.dat file in there at 16Kb is default size, so normal.

The index.dat file that MRU cleans is the one located in Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE5 folder which by default is 32Kb. I've seen those as large as 4.7Mb until cleaned.

The path to the cookies is the correct one as far as I can tell for you. So really don't know what the story is there. ;( It should detect that. My path is the same. [except for 'Owner' or username, etc. depending on what your pc was called during install].

Have a look under Documents and Settings in C:/ drive, see how many 'users' there are. I currently have 3 listed. 'All Users'/'Default User'/xxxxxxxx~my name~ user. If you see another besides "owner" and "All Users", rat thru that see if your tifs/cookies are in that also.

The cookies for me are under the Default User as well as my TIFS. MRU auto detected those, and I've never had to change.

For the Scheduler... I presume you tried right clicking on the Icon in SysTray? See what options there are: Exit, Restore/Maximise, etc., or double click it?

If no luck, go to Task Manager [Ctrl/Shift/Esc] look for the running Process [you should be able to detect it easy enough] right click on that, End Process, OK the warning.

Then, Start/Program Files/MRU-Blaster/MRU-Blaster Scheduler... then go to link below... I have just posted about it in there. [To turn off, but you can figure it out from the pic in link.]

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=45447

HTH, TAS :)

3. meandor

Tassie Devil, thanks for replying
    We'll forget about the Scheduler concern. I realize it was my error. I was right
    clicking instead of left. The scheduler is doing what it's supposed to.

I do have a problem with the Temporary Internet Files however.
    As follows:

C:\D & S\Owner\Loc.-Set.\Temp. Int. Files\ Empty no index.dat 32KB
    C:\D & S\Administrator\Loc.-Set.\Temp.Int.Files\Content.IE5\ Empty no I.D 32KB
    C:\D & S\Administrator(Mel)\Loc.-Set.\Temp.Int.Files\Content.IE5\ Empty
    no I.D 32KB
    Also a Temp. Int. File in
    C:\Windows\Temp. Int. Files\ no Index.Dat file, but it has a mess of cookies
    resident there? I wasn't aware C:\Windows should have a TIFo_O

I run a file viewer "@Winspy" I have a load of URL History, and a lot
    of Index.dat files present.

As for the missing files for Index.Dat 16KB or 32KB I thought they were supposed to be re-created by Windows.
    I think I may have a big problem here. Any ideas Tassie Devils?

Mel Shepherd a.k.a meandor

4. Tassie_Devils

Hi Mel....

Those 3 paths you laid out, they are empty of temp internet files, and index.dat files. No index.dat files at all....

You have to click on the Content.IE5 folder itself to see, not any of the sub-folders, or the Temporary Internet Files folder itself....ok.... see pic..

The default index.dat file is 32kb which is rebuilt by Windows after a clean and reboot.

If you are doing that and still see no index.dat..... under any of the 3 paths, please try a reboot if you already haven't.

That seems strange.

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

• 061.GIF
      061.GIF
      File size:
      9.5 KB
      Views:
  5. Tassie_Devils

This will probably be a silly question, but do you also have the following checked off in MRU.

It should have cleaned your URL History.

TAS

PS: Also did you click 'Save Settings' on each Plug-in if you changed it. And on the pic settings also?

Attached Files:

• 062.GIF
      062.GIF
      File size:
      13.9 KB
      Views:
  6. meandor

Tassie Devils, Reference your two posts,

I can confirm there are NO "Index.dat" files in any of the Temporary Int. Files
    I did look into Content.IE5, definitely NO I.D files.
    I verified the MRU-Blaster Plugin settings and path
    Internet File Plug-In is optioned the same as your attachment.
    The path listed in the IF Plug-In is; C:\WINDOW\Temporary Internet Files
    also, there is NO "Index.dat" file in there.

The Cookie-Blaster Plug-In is optioned and set to work
    The path listed in the plug-in is: C:\Doc. & Set\Owner\Cookies\ Index.Dat16KB

I have re-booted several times.

I've looked at each of these file paths and there are definitely cookies and
    Internet files in there after I'v been browsing.
    I look at the @Winspy viewer and can see URL adresses listed, as well as Index.Dat listings. Up to here things look OK. When I re-boot and again check the @Winspy viewer the "Index.Dat" files are cleared as they should be
    however all the URL addresses are still there.
    When I run my Nortons System Works-Web Cleaning Tool it will remove all URL history. For some reason MRU-Blaster will not.

One thing I didn't mention previously. I am running Windows XP with SP2
    (Service Pack 2). I have to admit I've had a number of problems since installing the SP2 update.
    If I had it to do over again and knowing the problems I've encountered, I would have stayed with SP1. My computer was working just fine while running Service Pack 1.

I believe I can account for the missing "Index.DAT" files. I used to clean them out by going into Safe Mode Command Prompt c:\del index.dat /s
    This tweak would clear everything out, but I thought the .dat files would be
    re-created once I booted up normally and commenced browsing again. It would appear this wasn't the case.

In summary MRU-Blaster clears out some items namely the so call "index.dat history" as viewed using @Winspy.
    MRU-B doesn't clear out URL history cache as viewed using @Winspy.
    I can clear the URL history cache using Nortons SW Web cleaning tool.

I might be wrong but I do believe MRU-Blaster should clear out the URL history as well.
    I don't know the significance of the missing "Index.Dats" in the Temporary Int. folders.
    One of the problems I first mentioned about the warning message
    "Cookie Blaster Plug-In can't find your Internet Explorer Cookie Folder" has not re-appeared for several re-boots now and it used to come on with every re-boot. I don't know what to make of that.
    Sorry to be a bother but I would like to get to the bottom of these issues, namely the not clearing of the URL history. I like the one stop does all concept that MRU-Blaster seems to offer. It's just a case of getting it all working that's becoming a challenge. Thanks for you continued interest.

Mel a.k.a meandor

7. meandor

Tassie Devils,
    I just read in another post you were assisting "Starlite" with a problem of not being able to delete Temporary Internet files. In one of your responses you had a attachment of the Internet File Plug-In, showing the path as:

C:\Documents & Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Tempoary Internet Files\
    somewhat different than mine as I stated mine is:
    C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\

I have confirmed on my PC this is where the TIF's are.
    I know prior to my up dating to SP2 my TIF's were also located in
    C:\Doc. & Set.\\Owner\Loc. Set.\Temp. Int. Files

Any idea how I can change things back. I'm assumming something in the
    Registry was modified during the SP2 update, or does it matter?. It seems MRU-B knows where they're located on my computer.

If Index.Dat files are necessary can they be replaced from somewhere?
    Such as a download from another computer?

Probably all dumb questions and or observations but I'd like to solve this problem. Thanks

Mel a.k.a meandor

8. Tassie_Devils

Hi Mel... ok.. that is strange, I do not have it, my mate does not have it, yet, the XP PC at work has TIFS living INSIDE the Temp folder in WINDOWS...

Anyhow... I cannot help any further on this particular issue with MRU... except to say that index.dat files are created by windows upon reboot.

I don't want to go off topic here, so sent you a Private Message, ok..

Cheers, TAS

9. meandor

Tassie, thanks for your input, with MRU-Blaster.

I accept that MRU won't clear my URL's for some unknown reason?? I can at least eliminate them using alternative means, i.e Norton's Web cleaning tool.
    Re: Index.dat files
    From what I've read index.dat files SHOULD be re-created once a person starts browsing again, for some reason mine haven't. Everything seems to be working without any index.dat files present.

I'll pursue info you provided in private message. Thanks for that heads up.

Mel a.ka. meandor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.