MRG Product Comparison - Hitman Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by tgell, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Does anybody know why Hitman Pro was dropped from the MRG product comparison page?

2. Dr who

Dr who Registered Member

Hazarding some guess's

Maybe Erik forgot to pay his subscriptions or more than likely since the test was based on realtime protection against ITW malware then having an on demand scanner included made the test model look very unprofessional.

Detecting a file by on demand scanning is not protection..it is simply detection after the attack has occured:thumb:

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

err,
    it's not because you have a file sitting on your desktop with trojans in it that you have been "attacked".

4. Gobbler

Gobbler Registered Member

This very question was raised in the MRG forums by a poster some days ago which was never answered in the first place and today when I was going through the MRG forum threads, that particular post ceased to exist.:shifty:

By the way, BluePoint and PE Guard are also missing from the tests of late.o_O

5. erikloman

erikloman Developer

From the MRG tests:
    The test had two phases, On Demand scan and if missed, then the sample was executed in Real Time.

This means every vendor in those tests have the opportunity to first detect the sample ON DEMAND and when undetected they can detect it while the sample is being EXECUTED. Since the test states it has an ON DEMAND part, it is not illogical for Hitman Pro to be included. So the test is not unprofessional at all.

Also, I think I am not alone when I say that Hitman Pro is disadvantaged by the fact it has only ON DEMAND. But despite this it still manages to detect almost every sample due to the multi-vendor approach.

Hitman Pro does not offer protection since it is ON DEMAND. And I think you mean that most people use Hitman Pro AFTER the computer was infected to clean things up, as that is what Hitman Pro is all about: take out the malware.

But you can use Hitman Pro as an ON DEMAND scanner just as any other ON DEMAND scanner. You can use it also BEFORE an attack.

MRG now offers a more formal model for their tests. We are looking into this so that we can be included in their tests again.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

nice to know erik:thumb:thanks

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Not so! I use Hitman to scan all downloads BEFORE installing them. Used thusly, Hitman gives VERY good protection.

In point of fact, a carefully structured security wall can be quite strong even with NO real-time AV running.

8. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Same here.

9. Montecristo

Montecristo Registered Member

Well said

10. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

I've got a very old free version of HitMan Pro that works on Win 9x/ME PCs.

This is good stuff! Which version stopped working on 9x/ME?

Dave

11. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

except when you are infected with stealthy Drive-by downloads or in a compromised local network alas vulnerabilities or holes :D

12. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Wise man speaks, others should listen. :)

For value, (free/paid) speed, ease of use, detection rates, HMP is a fantastic security product. Hopefully they keep it on-demand.

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

agree with bellgamin and Saraceno agree with you too;)

14. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Thats why Bell also uses Tiny Watcher for registry and file changes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.