MRG ongoing tests

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CloneRanger, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

so do Defensewall, PE Guard and Mamutu

3. Pedersen

Pedersen Registered Member

Agree, I would even say they are more lightweight then Zemana

4. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Also Hitman Pro hasn't missed a sample yet. Hitman Pro only can do ON DEMAND while the others also participate with the ON EXECUTE part if their ON DEMAND missed it.

5. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Hitman pro in the building:D :thumb:

6. guest

guest Guest

There is any resume of all this ongoing tests? I think that I have seen Immunet passing all of them.
    They should include spyshelter.

7. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

@Sveta, any chance you can do something about the rogue software connected to our company name in the sponsored link?

The page it links to even uses our name but is obviously not our software.

8. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Emsisoft still doing great :)
    kaspersky missing in some tests :doubt:
    Hitman pro :thumb:

9. Sveta MRG

Sveta MRG Registered Member

Problem solved:)

Regards,
    Sveta

10. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Most impressive so far; Emsisoft, PE Guard and Hitman Pro.

11. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

debateable...

12. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

+1 on Zemana's "weight" debateability for Zemana. Uses 13kb mem in my system, peaks at 17kb, 22kb VM. I think Pedersen is mistakenly thinking of something else. Or maybe he runs a Celeron 900 laptop with 1 gig RAM.

Not really quite sure how HMP fits into testing how well an anti-app protects against threats that just showed up a few minutes ago. What really would be good to know is which engine caught the malware at that point in time.

Mamutu is in Emsisoft AM, so looks like a duplication of effort. Which brings up something else that would be nice to know: which parts of those anti-apps caught the malware? Defs, heuristics, HIPS? And when - on access or what?

AVG results are devastating. I don't know what AVG AV "Pro" is, but if they're not testing Internet Security, they're not testing AVG's BB, Identity Protection.

But anyhow, a great series of tests and fun to follow. There was a thread here earlier on this but it slid off into obscurity because, I guess, HMP wasn't being tested yet. :cool:

13. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Hitman Pro would fail badly if MRG would test a rouge AV, as would many, many other vendors. The protection against these nasties are so bad. These days, _all_ of my friends' computers that actually get infected with something, have had their systems compromised by rouge AVs, and not by simple keyloggers or trojans or whatever.

That being said, I actually request a test showing the results against a fresh rouge AV. This would truly test the detection of some ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ malware.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2010
  14. Sveta MRG

Without a doubt Rogues will be used. At this moment we are concentrating on Financial Malware/KeyLoggers. They pose the greatest danger as if you are infected with them, removal or image restore will not fix your problem:(

You can NOT restore your bank account!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2010
  15. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

agreed, these types of malware are my greatest concern.

16. markusg

markusg Registered Member

hmm i think its also important to test rogues and other trojans, not only zbot, there is a lot other stuff out.
    and some rogues brings rootkits like tdss or other trojans.

17. Pedersen

Pedersen Registered Member

Hello Sveta.
    How long will this test be ongoing? if any date sat..

And may I use information from the test to an article ?

18. Sveta MRG

This will be an ongoing project so there will be no end. At the end of 2010 we will announce the best performers overall.

Yes, you can use info from this test in your article, we will have a chat with Al as there are a couple of other things Chris and I would like to cover.

Regards,
    Sveta

19. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Finally some tests of Prevx, I've been looking for real-world tests for a while. Impressive results, I've put it on my computer. Thank you MRG.

20. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

A blast from the past?
    (No, I don't wanna go there, I just found it...'remarkable').

Sveta, what's the reason for having different selections monthly in the category HIPS, Behavior Blockers, Anti-Loggers.

Mamutu is tested now and then, ThreatFire sometimes while others are tested every time.
    Is there any reason why you guys test ThreatFire?
    Do you expect it to be continued? Or do you consider it a 'quality golden oldie'.

21. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

Sveta, can you include SpyShelter in your anti-keylogger tests?

It would be interesting to see some independent testings beside their own home-tailored custom leak tests. ;)

22. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

23. guest

guest Guest

"beside their own home-tailored custom leak tests"
    Actually what you want to say can you precise? Your posts about SpyShelter contains ZERO technical facts or arguments and too much emotional load.
    this "home-tailored" leak tester was so inspiring for others to make sensors to block them...

You can always test yourself with almost 100 availiable today commercial keyloggers or see there:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1651141&postcount=25

24. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

Hi, Guest, my man!

You got me wrong, I have nothing against SpyShelter, on the contrary - I have it running in real time on my PC!

At the moment I am using the free version but I am considering buying the Premium edition.

Your excellent testings were good enough to convince me to install it. If Sveta's tests confirm yours, I'm buying it!

You know, all vendors advertise their software as the perfect ones and make comparisons with their competition showing superiority over them. I have yet to see someone saying "Well, this is our weak point and our competition has a better product" :D . That's why we need independent tests.

I think, if the guys at MRG are already testing antikeyloggers, why don't they test SpyShelter too? So we have a second opinion. That's all I asked.

Keep up the good work!

25. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

MRG did test SS a while back, but there were vituperative disputes as to the test criteria, methodology, & validity etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.