Mozilla to enable Click to Play for all Firefox plugins by default, except the latest

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/01/...s-by-default-except-the-latest-flash-version/

2. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Very interesting, thanks for the article post.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Sounds decent. Although I would block Flash. When you open two Youtube tabs, you don't want them playing at the same time, so a Firefox extension like Flashblock is still quite useful here.
    Mrk

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Flash should be included, screw advertisers. Their move to near full screen, auto-playing film-like ads are the biggest reason a lot of people started using ad-blocking software. Granted that won't change ads forced on you before a video clip, but it will auto-block all those damned pop-up ads that cover many generic websites or those that like to sit down in the corners of pages and many times don't have a close or even a pause button. Not to mention blocking that crap leaves one less avenue for malware to take.

6. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Three questions about plugins in FF, R20 ...
    1. In about:config would you recommended toggling the click to play from the default setting ? Default for click and play is what... it is still auto on or is it now off?

2. Plugins that I do not want (Java Toolkit, Skype clicktocall, Silverlight), how do I delete them? No delete button.

3. Google Updater is a plugin that auto installed Feb 2013, and it is out of date. I checked for an update and it shows as an unknown plugin. If I disable it, what will not work and why doesn't Google know what Google Updater is?

7. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i would agree here.
    i think it's pretty useless if it does not block Flash.

Chrome blocks Flash with its "Click to Play" feature.

no bid deal for me because NoScript already does that for me anyway.

8. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

Set "plugins.click_to_play" to "true" in "about:config". It will block all flash objects. It also offers whitelist etc...

9. niki

niki Registered Member

I can only answer your #2 question.

about:config - in search box type: plugin.expose_full_path and when found toggle to true

about:plugins - the list will show you the path where these plugins are located and you can delete them there with Firefox closed.

After done, for security reasons toggle plugin.expose_full_path back to false.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.