Mozilla Thunderbird

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by OliverS, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OliverS

OliverS Registered Member

Does ESET NOD32 Antivirus do any good if one is using an e-mail client other than Outlook? I use Thunderbird, and it does not seem to be supported by ESET. In the advance settings, there is an item for POP3 Firefox, but Firefox is a browser.

Any suggestions?

OliverS

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

The port covers most clients, but you can do this here:

thunder.jpg

3. OliverS

Thanks.

Firefox was listed under POP3 E-mail Client, but not Thunderbird. I clicked [Add] and navigated to Thunderbird.exe and added it. I have now checked Thunderbird, and unchecked Firefox.

Further down the tree under browsers, I have checked Firefox, but not Thunderbird which now appears here as well. I note that IE is not included in the list -- why not?

Any comments or suggestions?

OliverS

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Weird, it did it automatically for me. But yes you can just go ahead and tick what is a browser/email and it will work fine. Just ignore the "active" and compatibility stuff.

5. OliverS

I am using Ameritech.net (e.g. SBC and AT&T) which uses a secure SSL connection on Port 995 for POP3. Therefor, I have added 995 in the POP3 line.

Should I be concerned that IE is not listed under browsers?

OliverS

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The main difference between POP3 and POP3s is not in the port, but encryption. The email protection cannot recognize and scan encrypted stuff.

7. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

The HTTP module will look at anything coming in as HTTP or POP3, primarily on ports 80, 8080, and 110. Tagging an application will notify the nod kernel to look for it doing that kind of traffic on alternative ports as well. POP3 over SSL, HTTPS, or anything over some manner of SSL will not be scanned as the HTTP module has absolutely not way of understanding or reading encrypted traffic that it passes along to an application. In those situations you will be relying on the real-time scanning engine to pick up anything malicious as it is written out to a local cache. I have heard rumblings that the next major version will offer native integration to Thunderbird and some other apps similar to what Outlook and Outlook Express have, but who knows if that is true or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.