mozilla thunderbird question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by frank47, Nov 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frank47

frank47 Registered Member

I downloaded Mozilla thunderbird,but it keeps asking me for password to server I havent had for two years(road runner).now using verizon dsl.Any way I can cure this?Please. :)

Thanks i got it. Solved

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  2. frank47

Spoke to soon.After reboot same problem.Would appreciate help,want to get rid of incredimail.Thanks

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

frank47

I'm not using Thunderbird at the moment but, I would say that account you haven't used for two years is on your computer either in outlook express or internet options.

When you installed Thunderbird, did you use the global import option?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Global_Inbox

When creating a new account

Overview
    Beginning with version 0.8, Thunderbird now has a Global Inbox feature that allows you to have your mail from multiple POP accounts go into a single Inbox, in Local Folders. You can choose to have all or only some of your POP accounts use the Global Inbox, as you wish.

When you create a new POP mail account in Thunderbird, the Account Wizard will ask if you want to use the Global Inbox for that account. If you do, then make sure that the box for this feature is checked. If you don't, then make sure the box is unchecked.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/

4. frank47

Hi ronjor. I dont How i downloaded it but i will try your sugesstion and get back. Thanks Frank47

5. frank47

Thanks Ronjor,
    Its my fault dont read enough.But thunder bird will not work for me.Called msn and they told me if the only choice is pop,or Imap.I can not get mail from msn address.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Okay frank47. I didn't know you were trying to get mail from MSN.

7. there is a program out there that allows u do POP with hotmail.

8. frank47

AzIaNxInFeRnO
    Do you have a link for it?

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

10. ?frank47

?frank47 Guest

Thanks Ronjor.

11. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

From http://www.rayshaw.im.com.au/article.aspx?ArticleKey=465

(updated 23/10/04)

Incredimail (lets call is INC for short) is a free email program that has certain attractions like colourful backgounds, fonts, animations and sounds. It has also been accused of being spyware, of causing lots of problems especially with Windows ME and XP and of having unreasonable End User License Agreements where the copyright of anything you send or receive may belong to INC, not you.. In addition it slows down the send and receiving of mail and makes mail files unnecessarily large.

I don't usually issue warnings but for the present I feel its best not to use INC. Please decide for yourself. If you do decide to remove it but here are a few tips I have gathered. Please note that I do not use INC and and have been unable to test all these tips. If you find a better way to remove it let me know at help@im.com.au.

STEP 1 - SAVING YOUR INC MESSAGES

Mail you sent and received via INC does not appear to be able to be exported (and imported) back to Outlook Express (OE for short) – another apparent problem with INC.

Some enterprising person has written a free conversion program from Incredimail back to OE but I have not had any feedback on it yet
    http://email.about.com/cs/emailutilities/gr/incrediconvert.htm. Try it first.

To set up Outlook Express as your preferred mail program open OE and go to tools/options and at the bottom of the "General" tab you will see "this mail program is not the default mail handler "choose "make default". Then in the Tools, Account set up your ISP mail details (pop3 and SMTP server) to send and receive mail.

STEP 2 - TO REMOVE INC

INC apparently does not remove itself completely and may cause a few problems when you reboot but these can be cured with a little persistence and registry editing.

INC sets itself to automatically load during start up and runs in the background. You must stop it running before trying to uninstall it. Press control alt delete and look in the task manager for something to do with Incredimail – might be incredimail.exe or similar and kill the process.

Go to Start, All Programs, IncrediMail and select Uninstall.

After you have done this run Regseeker free from http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm to clean the registry. Select all it finds and press delete.

Also use Regseeker to find in the "registry" every reference to them Incredimail and remove them (select all and press delete). This will include “registry folders” as well as separate entries.

After this use Windows Explorer to go to: C:\Program Files and delete the "IncrediMail" folder and sub folders. **See below if you can’t delete the folder in Windows Explorer.

** If you are having problems deleting the folder you will have to do the following:

Use Cleanup free from www.stevengould.org. Go to options and tick custom directories and folders and put C:\Program Files\Incredimail (or the name of the folder it is stored in) in the window. Run Cleanup and reboot.

This should remove the folder Incredimail and all sub folders.

12. frank47

Thanks Bigbuck,Just read your very lengthy,and informative post.But since I couldnt receive mail with thunderbird from my msn address,Ive decided to stay with( inc.).I have had very good results with it,and as far as I can tell have no
    interference with any other programs. OS XP home.Thanks again for looking out for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.