Mozilla Thunderbird problems connecting to Gmail

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'll try my best and explain this situation.

Until yesterday, a relative of mine was using a Vodafone 3G USB Internet connection; I do not recall the model of the device.

Everything has always been OK.

Today, my relative came complaining that when checking for new e-mails, Thunderbird would display a message saying the connection to pop.gmail.com timed out.

It turns out this started to happen because my relative got a new Vodafone 3G device (ZTE K3765Z).

To narrow things down, I asked my relative to open the web browser and access Gmail and verify if, under Settings, POP was activated. It is activated.

I started to look at the system, and the previous device had created a network connection (modem/phone) named VMCLite. This is the connection that previously appeared under Internet Explorer connections. Whenever connected to the Internet, this connection would appear as being connected to the Internet with the name VMCLite.

This new device didn't create none. It actually created a secondary Local Area Network connection. No connection appears in Internet Explorer connection settings.

I tried to access the device's program advanced options, but it crashes due to some exception handle error or something like that.

Everything else is working OK. My relative can use Internet Explorer... The only issue found, so far, is with Thunderbird not being able to access Gmail with a timed out error.

So far, I couldn't find what is causing this. Any ideas? By the way, could any one share the Gmail settings under Thunderbird, just in case something went mad?

I also tried to manually create a connection under IE connection settings, but it fails.

I used the username and password as vodafone and vodafone (it seems to be the same for everyone), but I'm not sure what the phone number would be like.

I've found some info on the net with *99***16#.

If anyone could share their thoughts, I'd appreciate.

Thanks

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Solved.

It turns out the problem was, in fact, related to Thunderbird settings for both incoming and outgoing gmail servers.

I wonder why such a mess happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.