Mozilla revenue jump fuels its Firefox overhaul plan

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Dec 1, 2017.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Hopefully this also means that Thunderbird is safe. :doubt:

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

"Mozilla makes Firefox big again" :D

i like the iron-firefox-suite. firefox 57 is another beginning as phoenix decades ago, and it had to be done either firefox would have died in the next years. but mozilla should not try to be competitive with google, thats not possible. they should work out the advantages, listen more to user wishes and try to implement several features (with an eye on security) which is possible.

4. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

It would be hard to compete with Google in security category. Chrome has really good sandbox.
    Privacy and customization is a different matter. Mozilla can compete in this area, but are they going to?

5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

firefox is on the hunt, CFG to implement. sandbox is fine and working. in some features firefox is truly ahead!

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

What I don't understand is why they didn't decide to rebuild FF like 5 years ago, they already did have plenty of cash back then.

7. reasonablePrivacy

Project Servo began around 2013, I think. Project Electrolysis was announced back in 2009.

8. Rasheed187

That's cool and all but in the meantime Chrome got bigger and bigger. There is really no excuse for "relaunching" FF just this year. And it still has got the same crappy bookmark manager! Sorry, I'm really not impressed.

9. reasonablePrivacy

I am also not impressed by Mozilla, but it is just a reality that big projects takes a little time counted in several months or years. I had watched some developments in some other software projects (primarily FOSS) and it also take years for major redesigns or completely replacing old solutions by new ones.
    I am not competent enough to state that how long exactly these projects should take time, but for projects that big is is not a matter of weeks even if you have several dozens of developers.

10. Rasheed187

Yes I can imagine that, but I personally it still feels like they could have done more. OK, the browser engine has become faster, they added a sandbox, plus the extensions-system is brand new. But that shouldn't have taken them years, I'm just not buying it. I'm actually surprised they were making this much money all of these years. And the end result isn't even that great, I don't know if it's because of Sandboxie, but FF 57/58 does not feel snappy at all, it's acting a bit weird on my system, especially during start-up.

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Might be your computer. Plenty snappy here. I mean very fast.

12. Rasheed187

You probably mean it starts up without using a lot of CPU time, and website loading is instant? Then I'm guessing it's a problem with Sandboxie, will do some more testing, thanks for the feedback.

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Instant loading of web pages confirmed.

14. Rasheed187

You're right, I've just tested FF 57 and it's pretty fast and snappy, so it's probably Sandboxie that's not ready yet for FF 58. So Mozilla did do a good job when it comes to making FF faster. But it's all about the details, if they were really on top of things, they would have added certain touches.

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

This depends on dozens of factors, including architecture, services, extensions, network bandwidth and latency, isp, world location, dns resolution times and cache expiration, and so forth. It's very difficult to test the true speed/responsiveness of a browser.
    Mrk

16. Rasheed187

I think you missed my last post. FF 57 is indeed quite fast, FF 58 is not but that's probably because it's in beta and not fully compatible with Sandboxie. I have a pretty good connection, trust me. BTW, I do like your reviews about browsers, I don't necessarily always agree with them, but we all have our own taste.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.