Mozilla Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Peaches4U, Nov 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Firefox has a newer version available. Can I instal over the previous version or do I need to do a clean instal. Also, what happens to my favourites during this process. Thanks.

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

In this newest version they fixed it so you can install on top now. My install was a breeze, and I have not heard of anyone having a problem. Of course be sure FF is shut down when you run the install. All of your settings will carry over to the new install except you might lose an extension or a theme as they all have not been updated yet....

HTH....

3. puff-m-d

There is a program called MozBackup that you can use to back up all your settings just in case.....

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You can also simply export your bookmarks to a folder you have created in my documents. They will be there when the dust clears. The file will be in the html format.

Prior to the last two versions of Firefox, it was recommended to uninstall first.
    Two entries for Firefox would show up in the add/remove if you didn't.
    I have heard that some have installed over the last version without problems.
    I uninstalled RC2 before installing Version 1. Nothing was lost in the process.

5. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

I uninstalled my old version.
    All favorites were kept because they are stored in your documents and settings/... not the program folder.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I mentioned exporting the bookmarks as a way of keeping them separate in case something happens in the course of doing all this creative work on the computer. :)

7. puff-m-d

MozBackup will let you back up a lot more than just bookmarks......

Attached Files:

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You're right Kent. For those that want to save all that info it is great. As I don't cache pages, save cookies or save passwords, I don't use it.

My documents is pretty well protected by sys restore. I keep much more than documents in that folder. Downloaded files for example.

Just another option. :)

9. Peaches4U

Thank u all for ur response, suggestions, etc. I shall now get busy and do the deed. :)

10. firefoxguy

firefoxguy Guest

I highly recommend you delete the application folder to be safe whenever upgrading firefox. Even though they removed the warning not to overwrite the old application folder in the release notes, you should notice that neither do they recommend it.

All your information is kept in the profile folder, so no information is lost when you delete the firefox app folder.

Well almost no information.

The 2 things you lose when you delete your firefox *application* folder (note: NOT profile), is

a) Search engines you added

b) Plugins (real,flash whatever)

Make sure you backup the files in \searchplugins and \plugins, then delete the app folder. Reinstall the new one, then copy the files back to these 2 folders.

Then reuse your old profile.

Trust me, you will have less problems this way.

11. Galcoolest

Galcoolest Registered Member

I must reiterate again to everyone how much improved FF is now- especially, in my estimation, with what bugged me to no end before, the Favorites folder- it was a pain, as some may know.

Now it easily zipped in my exported IE favorites (I went to MyIE2 cus of FF trouble like last June), lets you configure them easily, etc. ( The only 2 things I'm still not quite clicking on with the new FF is how to get some extensions to work right, and WHERE is there a convenient way to clean your cache other than through the Control Panel? Sorry for tangential questions, but doesn't deserve a whole thread IMHO)....

I am glad Mozilla has worked hard to make FF an improved experience and I wish the folks good luck!

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Galcoolest

The easiest way to make sure your extensions are working right is, after installing your extension, to go to tools, options, advanced, and check for updates. The updated extensions are still trickling in as are the themes.

You can go to tools, extensions, and right click on the extension for options.
    Firefox will no longer let you install an extension that is not ready for 1.0.

Attached Files:

13. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

The FF support forum should be able to help you locate the latest extension for FF 1.0.

I use extension X to clean out the cache and many other items. Once you've installed X, reboot, right click on the FF's toolbar, and select CUSTOMIZE. Drag the PARANOAI icon up to the tool bar and click on the DONE box.

http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info.php/x

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  15. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

What are the problems with FF 1.0 and extension X? It works fine with my triple boot system (W98SE, W2K Pro, WXP Pro).

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It is still not listed on the extensions page at the Firefox download site.
    Rather than edit the extensions, I would just wait until it's listed.

You can also clear browsing info from the tools, options, privacy, menu.

Attached Files:

17. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

There is NO GUARANTEE of compatibility even if the extension appears on the "approved" list. X is 100% compatible with FF 1.0 and my setup. The X Paranoai icon does not auto install in the toolbar. I'm not sure if you can call this a bug. Moving the icon to the toolbar takes less than 30 seconds.

Install extension X like any other extension. Restart FF and you're done. I have no idea what you meant by "edit the extensions".

FF 1.0 may not empty its cache when accessed thru Tools\Options\Clear Cache. This is a known bug. Restart FF will resolve this issue. Again, this problem is not related to the X extension.

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The default in Firefox is to allow downloads from update.mozilla.org. You can bypass this safety feature and download any extension you desire.
    This mechanism was put in place to prevent malicious .xpi extensions from being installed on your computer.

As you say, the extension works fine on your computer. What I am saying is I would rather play it safe.
    If it becomes an option on the Firefox extensions site, I will give it a go. Not before.

Edit: I did use that extension on .08 and .09 of Firefox.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  19. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I understand your concern.

To bypass the security, go to the X link and right click INSTALL\SAVE LINK AS, and save the x0.6.3.xpi extension to a location of choice. Go to FF's Tools\Extensions. Now drag the x0.6.3.xpi extension to the FF's Extensions box. This is another way of loading extensions.

20. Peaches4U

Did my download - all is simply peachy, and even bookmarks are all in place. Added a few plug-ins - all went smoothly. Lost the google toolbar because of incompatibility but that is no big deal - have google icon on my toolbar and that is all I need. Thanks everyone for ur input - much appreciated. :)

21. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

No problems with the new foxfire either.

Got so worried about losing bookmarks; copied backups etc, did the install after uninstall of previous version and ended up with all bookmarks doubled up! HA!

Idiot proof software. Thank God.
    Must reall y be one of the most remarkable efforts ever.
    Very, very, humbled and grateful.
    Since moving across to FF, no malware that the AV has not picked up.

Surely M$ will get the message soon.

22. meneer

meneer Registered Member

And it's all just plain fun, installing and trying extension and skins.

And it seems like future is here: no more need for stand alon rss readers, ftp clients, css editors, stock tickers, blog editors, all's avalaible in fox's xml/css backbone. Why use other applications once we move our fat clients/server systems to web technology and drop the office systems all together...

23. firefoxguy

firefoxguy Guest

I agree that being posted on update.mozilla doesn't by any stretch of truth makes it's superior. There are many reasons why it is not listed , one of which is cos the author doesn't borther to do so.

And of course you guys know the trick of fixing firefox so it doesn't automatically disable extensions whenever you upgrade firefox ? :)

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

firefoxguy

What are some of the other reasons some extensions are not listed at the Firefox update site?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.