Mozilla/Firefox protection

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Nick, Mar 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Registered Member

I tried the option for Mozilla/Firefox protection, and I'm assuming it is supposed to add bad cookie domains to the always block list. However, I don't see anything in my list in either browser to indicate that anything has been done. Am I correct in that it's cookie protection?

I'm using both Mozilla 1.6 and Firefox 0.8. I have cookies set to prompt and only accept cookies from the originating server.

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Did you attempt to set the protection while either browser was open? If so, could you try closing down Mozilla/Firefox and then setting the cookie protection?

And yes, it should be adding domains to the cookie block list in either Mozilla or Firefox. o_O

EDIT: Also, what does SpywareBlaster say when you restart it? Does it say there are 0 unprotected items for Mozilla/Firefox protection? Thanks. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. MCT

MCT Registered Member

i also use firefox 0.8 and it lists all cookies in the "exeptions" section in cookies..

IE also lists the cookies under 'restricted sites'

but SB says "0 items have protection" (under all sections in the protection tab)

4. Nick

Nick Registered Member

I didn't remember if Firefox was open, but I know Mozilla wasn't when I added protection. So I unchecked and removed protection for Mozilla and Firefox, closed everything, reopened SpywareBlaster and enabled protection for them. I opened them both up and still no change. SpywareBlaster is saying "0 items have protection disabled".

I removed protection for Mozilla/Firefox, then I rebooted the computer. Opened SpywareBlaster, clicked the "click here to enable protection" in the Mozilla row and clicked "prevent spyware/tracking cookies" link. Then I clicked on "protect against checked items" . Still no cookies in the block sites except the ones I put there myself.

The restricted sites for IE works, and I have no other problems. I installed Mozilla 1.6 in the default location C:\\program files\ mozilla.org and Firefox is also in it's default location at C:\Program files\mozilla firefox.

SpywareBlaster says "0 items have protection disabled. I uninstalled the previous version of SpywareBlaster before installing version 3. My OS is Win ME.

5. Volans

Volans Registered Member

I think that your profile folder is in a different path, not in the default one (ApplicationData\Mozilla\Profiles\). But there is a profile folder (probably unused) in the default path and SWB have inserted there the block list in the cookperm.txt file. It's for this reason that it tell you that you are protected.

Read also this topic:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=26398
    to find a solution until the 3.1 version will released!

6. teh s uck

teh s uck Registered Member

I'm using Firefox nightlies (0.8+) and Spywareblaster 3.0 says that Firefox is not installed at all. I know that Firefox has recently changed its default profile folder to Application Data/Firefox/Profile from Application Data/Phoenix/Profile. Could that be the problem and if so, is there a workaround or do I need to wait for 3.1 for a fix?

Otherwise, I'm quite happy with the program.

7. Volans

Volans Registered Member

See my previous topic and the link therein!

If you create a folder:
    ApplicationData\Phoenix\Profiles\12ab3cdef.slt
    and you put a copy of your cookperm.txt file there, SWB 3.0 recognize it, and insert in the file the block list.

After re-copy this file and put it in your real profile folder (replace the old one).

ATTENTION! Maybe caution to made all of these operations with the Mozilla/Firefox shutdown, also close the Quick Launch!

8. Nick

Nick Registered Member

Thanks for the info Volans.

Here's a simple question, are the restricted sites supposed to show in Firefox when you select tool>options>privacy>cookies>exceptions? My cookie file is stored at C:\windows\application data\phoenix\profiles\default\rqtgvzu7.slt\cookperm.txt for firefox and C:\windows\application data\mozilla\profiles\default\ryatedzn.slt\cookperm.txt for Mozilla 1.6.

When I enable protection in SpywareBlaster, there are sites added to both of those files, and when I remove the protection, the sites are gone. But I can only see that by opening the .txt files in notepad, they don't show in the privacy menu in the program.

I do notice that the codes given by Volans are different in my text files:

Note that I added the google one to the block list to test:

google.com 0F
    100hot.com 1F
    247realmedia.com   1F
    247media.com   1F
    realmedia.fr   1F
    2o7.net   1F
    7adpower.com   1F
    7search.com   1F
    8ad.com   1F
    911promotion.com   1F
    adbureau.com   1F
    adbutler.com   1F

And so on...

Here's the ones for Firefox, the first group I have added myself to the always accept group:

www.spywareinfoforum.com   0T
    www.spywarewarrior.com   0T
    spywarewarrior.com   0T
    www.wilderssecurity.com   0T
    www.dmv.state.va.us   0T
    forums.tomcoyote.com   0T

100hot.com   1F
    247realmedia.com   1F
    247media.com   1F
    realmedia.fr   1F
    2o7.net   1F
    7adpower.com   1F
    7search.com   1F
    8ad.com   1F
    911promotion.com   1F
    adbureau.com   1F
    adbutler.com   1F

and so on....

So it would seem that SpywareBlaster is finding the place to put the info, and that's why it is saying there is protection, but the codes it is using are wrong, so both browsers don't see the additions?

9. Volans

Volans Registered Member

Yes you do see the list of sites from which cookies are blocked in the cookie manager of your browser.

These are the codes writed in the file cookperm.txt automatically by the browser if I use the cookie manager of the program to add a site to the block or allow list.

Mozilla 1.6 -> 0F = block coockies from this site; 0T = allow cookies from this site
    Netscape 7.0 -> 0F = block coockies from this site; 0T = allow cookies from this site
    Firefox 0.8 -> 1F = block coockies from this site; 1T = allow cookies from this site

I have a PC with only Mozilla 1.6 and SWB have write the wrong code (1F instead of 0F) and I have replace it manually in order to have protection and see in the cookie manager the block list.
    I have another PC with Firefox 0.8 (Phoenix folder, non firefox) and Netscape 7.0. In this case SWB have regularly recognized Firefox and added the list with the correct code (1F) and I see the list in the cookie manager. I have then copied the cookperm.txt into the Netscape folder and, after replace all the 1F with the 0F also Netscape have the list in the cookie manager.

Be careful when you manually edit the files of mozilla/firefox/netscape, always quit the browser and also the Quick Launch (if open).

In Mozilla SpywareBlaster write a wrong code...I don't know why, but Javacool reply to my post:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.