Mozilla Firefox 3.1 Beta 3 Released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Article

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

This is an impressive beta. Memory use is down and speed is up.

4. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

It could be over excitement on my part, but I could swear that my 3 or 4 second lag on start-up is gone.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks ronjor

Been looking foward to the next release of FF for some time now.

I HONOR your opinion from the results that you no doubt have already experienced with this release.

I feel myself distancing farther more away from anything IE anymore even though i've experienced extermely small tidbits of any malware busting thru the iron shield i've built into it.

FF is just plain quicker plus all the excitement of it's add ons are innovative major advancements IMHO in comparison.

EASTER

6. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Firefox: Open source, Extensible, Functional.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

7. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Loads faster and pages open faster also :thumb:

8. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Yes i see many improvements:thumb: in this version.I want Mozilla to implement paste and go function:( .

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

I installed the portable version of this Beta in a run-of-the-mill 8 GB Flash drive from MicroCenter, and I'm impressed by how fast this version runs. All previous incarnations of FF 3 versions ran poorly on this drive, and although FF 3.0.7 is the first version to run half way decent, FF 3.1b3 beats that version by a mile! :thumb: Can't wait until FF 3.5 debuts.

10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi all,

I've written an extensive, enthusiastic review of Firefox 3.1 Beta (3), including new features like private browsing, selective clear private data, improved Javascript performance (sunspider), improved W3C compliance (Acid3), drag & drop tabs, and more.

If you're interested:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/firefox-3-1-beta.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

11. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Nice write up, makes me wish the final release was ready.

Thought I would tell you though that you have a typo in the very first sentence of your review. ;)

12. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

Bravo Mrk::D
    Firefox 3.1 Beta 3 - Superb is too modest
    http://www.tuxmachines.org/

13. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

Has anyone tweaked this latest beta?If you did could you share it;)

14. Mrkvonic

Really, oops ... yes, holy banana ...
    Mrk

15. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

much better than the latest final version,i looooooooooooooove this beta
    Nice work MOZILLA

16. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I installed this latest beta on Vista and I didn't see where it was any faster than their latest final version.Perhaps i'll try it on my son's XP and see what it does.

17. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

My neither on xp.But except from the 1st start browsing with FF is fast here.Only chrome beats it both in cold start by far,and in normal browsing(on some sites).
    Unfortunately i became addicted to "fire gesture"addon which doesn't work with this beta so i'll wait for the final.

18. Mrkvonic

One of the reasons I did not mention memory in my review is because it's a delicate thingie. Testing on real vs virtual machine, windows vs linux gives different results with memory use from -50% to +50% compared to 3.0.7. Then, there are the extensions to take into consideration. Overall, gonna take some time testing this properly ...

Mrk

19. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Mrk,

Nice writeup. Have downloaded and will shortly install it. I just wanted to add the following comments to help clarify my understanding of the Privacy Feature if I misunderstand what it brings to the table and what it does not.

Note, though, that the privacy feature probably only works somewhat like the Stealther FF plugin, i.e. the privacy it affords will not hide your IP address or secure your browser information from begin logged at remote web sites, or tunnel your browser request to effectively hide where you are browsing from your ISP or DNS server requests as far as I can determine from what has been written about it so far. Is this correct?

If so, then the Private Browsing feature does not provide true Privacy, but by not leaving any tracks inside the FF profile may support a claim of plausible deniability without extra supporting logs from ISPs and remote web sites if some legal issue should arise for the user. This is at least a step in the right direction to provide Privacy, but much more needs to be done.

-- Tom

20. Mrkvonic

It provides local privacy, relevant for the host you run on, not server-wise, indeed. Sort of like stuff you don't want your wife to know :)
    Mrk

21. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Perhaps.......but what more can be done beyond, say, incorporating some sort of "anonymizer" into the browser?

22. tlu

tlu Guest

Thanks ronjor and Mrk.

I installed the new beta on Kubuntu 8.10 today and it's running very well. I haven't done any benchmarking but it seems a little bit faster than 3.0.7.

BTW: For anybody else willing to try it on Ubuntu, here's the how-to.

23. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Mrkvonic, excellent review, as always. The Hyperlinks in web page sources feature is turning out to be one of my favorites and I'm sure Webmasters are going to love it as well. Thanks for pointing that out. :thumb:

24. Mrkvonic

I did something much, much simpler: downloaded the tar archive, extracted it in the home directory and launched firefox locally with ./firefox. Then, if I'm not happy, remove the directory. When I wanna launch the existing firefox, just use global variable in the path (firefox) - or any of the existing shortcuts.

As to memory on Ubuntu, I checked the rss and vzs values, ff 3.1 took more than 3.0.7 on "cold" start. Didn't check what happens after 5 min, 30 min, 30 tabs, with flash, javascript, java, etc running. It's not a simple test.

Mrk

25. Mrkvonic

Just remembered, I should also check oom_score to see how the system treats the two FFs. Some programs preallocate memory, so it's difficult to tell what they're using whether it's real or just buffer. I'll run memhogs too to see what gives.

PS, this will be a double article: work with memory and FF benchmark :)

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.