Mozilla devs discuss ditching Dutch CA, because cryptowars

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Minimalist, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/30/mozilla_mistrust_dutch_ca/

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Damn :( Lots of VPN servers in Amsterdam :( Damn :(

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yep, that could be problem. I already removed config files for few of them.

4. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

On balance this is good - they need to see the iatrogenics of their overreach. I'm not clear why UK CAs aren't similarly fingered.

5. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

That Dutch law is most likely to be delayed, maybe until 01 May 2018.
    Not because of Mozilla, but due to other internal Dutch reasons. There is much to say about it but before you know it you get into politics ...

=====

I noticed that at least two Dutch spelling errors in that article from The Register were fixed.

=====

What does "iatrogenics" mean here? My English, and dictionary, isn't good enough ...

6. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

Good word iatrogenic , in this context it means to push a supposedly beneficial policy that ends up being detrimental to those it is supposed to be helping.

As for the anti encryption policy, anyone who gets their news from mainstream media and votes for mainstream party politics puts these anti privacy extremists in office and are therefore as much to blame for the state of it all as the politicians themselves.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  7. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Ah, thanks RockLobster! I just now looked at Wikipedia. And I should have known better, shame on me.

Back to topic

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  8. deBoetie

Unfortunately, I think it's more than just unintended consequences - I was being kind and recognising that most people are well-intentioned, though we know where that tends to lead. The problem being that incentives for the IC do not factor in wider community, constitutional and business costs - Someone Else's Problem. It's a bit like the bad old days of uncontrolled pollution, as long as you make the profit, who cares. And the IC are making a profit at least in terms of their careers and self-importance, and the companies involved in huge contracts and profits.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

9. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

@deBoetie
    I don't think this can continue.
    The "if it makes a profit it is therefore good" ideaology is out of control, entirely self destructive and detrimental to society as a whole. Sooner or later it is going to come to a head.

10. deBoetie

Historically, that's exactly what's happened - rent-seeking and guarding behaviors swamp the productive economy, harming society and privacy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.