Mozilla and Microsoft release custom Firefox with Bing

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2011
  2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

What kind of numbers do they get for their alternative versions?

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

What's the point? Is it that hard to change such basic things? I'd say waste of bandwidth, unless there's some kind of agenda here.

4. guest

guest Guest

Though I use Google for searches in my native language (because Bing local version is terrible), I use Bing USA for searches in English.

I'm favorable to anything that can help Bing in its battle with Google. Very dominant monopolies aren't good for users.

See how all relevant browsers, especially IE, are improving at faster pace because of hard concurrence.

See how Android, iOS, Windows Phone and even Symbian are improving because of tight competition.

Even Windows is improving faster, thanks largely to future threats in the horizon.

I could go on and on.

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Weird ... :blink: ... it's an about:config job to change default browsers in Firefox, but not difficult to do. I thought Bing was bundled with Fx anyway as it's in my drop-down GUI search box & I don't remember installing it. Mind you, my memory is going these days ... o_O

I still prefer Duck Duck Go & Start Page.

6. guest

guest Guest

Cool alternatives.

FWIW:

Duck Duck Go results are enhanced by Bing (used to be Yahoo search, but Yahoo search merged with Bing).

Start Page results are enhanced by Google.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I don't get it..Bing is installed already as a search engine choice (FF 10). As far as I recall, 7 has it too. I wonder if that's the only "custom" part of this.

8. guest

guest Guest

Mozilla has previously released a number of similarly customized Firefox builds in collaboration with various partners. For example, they released a special version of Firefox with Twitter integration earlier this year. Mozilla has been expanding its relationships with commercial partners over the past year, leading to some unexpected tie-ins. The release of Firefox with Bing is merely the latest development.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/ne...icrosoft-release-custom-firefox-with-bing.ars

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Looks like I'm getting the best of all possible worlds then. ;)

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Perhaps this is headed towards Mozilla dropping Google and picking up Microsoft for their financial well-being.

11. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Not until Bing delivers better search results for non-US countries it won't.

12. guest

guest Guest

I would like to fully understand what is Microsoft's strategy for Bing outside USA/ for non-English searches.

Looks like Microsoft wants Bing to become really popular in USA before investing outside.

Or they think that what Americans choose, the world will choose.

I really dunno, lol.

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

This is a convenient time to selectively remember that "very dominant" monopolies aren't healthy: when it involves Bing trying to increase market share.

By the way, why is it necessary to have the "very dominant" bit? Aren't vanilla monopolies just as bad?

Anyway, that's why I switched to non-Microsoft solutions. For the general good.

14. guest

guest Guest

Yes.

I won't argue about semantics. If we are going to use the strict dictionary definition for "monopoly", Google market dominance doesn't classify as "monopoly", simply because alternatives always existed and the prices are free anyways.

I can't switch to a "solution" that doesn't cover all my needs. I wouldn't switch to Bing USA if it didn't cover all my needs for English searches.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an idealistic, I'm a pragmatic person.

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Very true. I've learned to distinguish between needs and wants. I'm a pragmatist as well!

16. guest

guest Guest

For example, to play my favorite games in my favorite networks is a need for me that only Microsoft platforms fully satisfy. :D

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=306480

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

All the best with your dependency issues. I hope things work out for you.

Meanwhile, I going to make my Firefox stand in the corner for being a bad boy and use Chrome ... because I want to and can without cutting my nose!

18. guest

guest Guest

:D After all the heavy tweak processes your Firefox passed to suit for you?

You can't be that bad. :'( LOL

19. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Well, it's not a total waste. I think I learned something from the tweaks that wasn't limited to just one browser. For example, css tweaks come in handy for Chrome and Opera as well.

20. guest

guest Guest

Now I've to admit that this is somewhat unexpected.

I though you were a proud FX FANBOY! The last warrior or something like that..

Having been so vocal in favor of all Mozilla devs controversial decisions in the last months. LOL

Compared to some of them, this move towards Bing is much more logical.

21. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Which controversial decisions? The versioning? That never bothered me the way it seemed to bother others. I like having improvements available as soon as they're ready.

23. guest

guest Guest

The versioning was one that I was initially a critic, but after Mozilla officially admitted that they don't target businesses, I accepted it fine. Started to make sense after that. Plus FX v5/6/7 fixed the performance issues/specific bugs I experienced with FX v4.

But I'm talking about this: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1825284&postcount=41

24. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The good old urlbar business... That seems so long ago. See how it's all got quiet now? People just like to have a good moan and then go on their way!

And as far as "Having been so vocal in favor of", I posted what I thought was a "helpful" adjustment for those who weren't too happy. Isn't that about it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.