Moving XP system to new hardware platform

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by fresnoboy, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fresnoboy

fresnoboy Registered Member

Hi. I want to move a system that is used as a home automation server from an old P4 hardware platform to a new AMD X2 platform. The old system is all PATA and the new one SATA, with completely different chipsets and drivers.

Will True Image Home 10 and the Universal Restore add-on do this? Or do I need the old 9.1 version Corporate Workstation version of True Image?

There have been many horror stories here about moving to new hardware and the universal restore not working properly, esp when SATA drivers are required.

Is there a way I can tell if this is going to work without buying the software?

Thanks
    Mike

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

The Universal Restore add on is only for the Corporate WS version of TI.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I have done this successfully by restoring the image to the new system. Don't even try to boot to the the new system. Shut down and then boot from the Windows XP installation CD. It needs to be the same Service Pack as the installed version of XP. Assuming you are running Windows XP SP2, the CD needs to be Windows XP SP2. Perform an upgrade in place as described in this MS Knowlege Base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

This will allow you to add the SATA drivers and will inventory the hardware on the new system. All your installed programs will still work, and your data will be in place. However, you will have to reinstall all the Windows updates.

4. fresnoboy

So I don't need TI at all to do this? I like the idea of doing this to a cloned disk however to make sure I recovery path if stuff gets screwed up.

Thanks,
    mike

5. jmk94903

When I said I restored the image as the first step of the transfer, that was a TI image and I used TI to restore it.

6. fresnoboy

Ok. Would this work for windows server 2003 as well? I am thinking now that if it's that easy, I could do a couple more hardware upgrades. This is just for some home based stuff that is getting long in tooth.

Thanks,
    Mike

7. jmk94903

I can't say. I've only done this for WinXP Pro not any of the Windows servers.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello fresnoboy,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that Acronis solution for moving the system to a different hardware is Acronis Universal Restore. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and mass storage device drivers.

Note that Acronis Universal Restore is a plug-in for corporate versions of Acronis True Image and in your case we would recommend that you use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation or Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows, depending on your operating system (you can find a detailed list of supported operating systems in the respective User's Guides).

Acronis Universal Restore is used with image archives and you can find basic instructions on how to use it here. Detailed instructions can be found in the User's Guides.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation or free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows to see how the software works on your computer.

Please also be aware that the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore is not available on Acronis web site. In order to obtain the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore please contact Acronis Support Team. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore and provide your personal information (full name; phone number along with the area code; company name, if any) along with the link to this thread. We'll provide you with the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore as soon as possible.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.