moving to windows 7 with new hard drive

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by kcvale, Jun 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcvale

kcvale Registered Member

My old Winxp computer is giving me too many errors so I want to upgrade before it dies. I have Macrium standard but I'm not sure how to go forward.

My old drive is partitioned into C/D drives-- C has windows and program files, D is everything else. Once I put in the new drive, I'll be partitioning it in the same way. I understand Win7 has partitioning tools-- is this a good idea? or should I go with Paragon's Free Partition Manager?

Since I'm moving to Win7, I figure there's not much I can do with the C partition (please, correct me if I'm wrong). But I'd like to move my D partition to the new hard drive. To do this, I'm not sure if I want to make a clone or an image.

I didn't want to take any chances, so I bought the standard version for this procedure since it was 30% off.

I'll be honest, I'm pretty much clueless. All the help you can give will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Windows 7 Disk Manager is completely reliable. But is has some restrictions compared to other partitions managers. For your purpose, it should work without any problem.
    It seems that your D partition only contains data. You can use an image manager to create a partition image or a file backup, but you could also simply create the partition in the new disk with Windows 7 and copy the files using a USB key or an external USB disk.

3. kcvale

kcvale Registered Member

That's it?! I don't know why I thought it would be so complicated. Is it this simple because I'm not trying to transfer the c drive?

Thanks very much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.