moving to windows 7 with new hard drive

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by kcvale, Jun 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcvale

kcvale Registered Member

My old Winxp computer is giving me too many errors so I want to upgrade before it dies. I have Macrium standard but I'm not sure how to go forward.

My old drive is partitioned into C/D drives-- C has windows and program files, D is everything else. Once I put in the new drive, I'll be partitioning it in the same way. I understand Win7 has partitioning tools-- is this a good idea? or should I go with Paragon's Free Partition Manager?

Since I'm moving to Win7, I figure there's not much I can do with the C partition (please, correct me if I'm wrong). But I'd like to move my D partition to the new hard drive. To do this, I'm not sure if I want to make a clone or an image.

I didn't want to take any chances, so I bought the standard version for this procedure since it was 30% off.

I'll be honest, I'm pretty much clueless. All the help you can give will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Windows 7 Disk Manager is completely reliable. But is has some restrictions compared to other partitions managers. For your purpose, it should work without any problem.
    It seems that your D partition only contains data. You can use an image manager to create a partition image or a file backup, but you could also simply create the partition in the new disk with Windows 7 and copy the files using a USB key or an external USB disk.

3. kcvale

kcvale Registered Member

That's it?! I don't know why I thought it would be so complicated. Is it this simple because I'm not trying to transfer the c drive?

Thanks very much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.