Moving to Defensewall and Sandboxie - do I still need Outpost?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jm0307, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jm0307

jm0307 Registered Member

Dear members,

My Avira Premium licence expired last week and I thought of abandoning AV use altogether. Although I do not feel any ill effects after surfing unprotected for a week, I do desire that extra bit of insurance in the event that my pc does become compromised. Thus, I thought of installing Defensewall and Sandboxie, as this combo appears to be considered, from what I have gathered in the forum, pretty safe and fairly novice proof.

However, as I have a lifetime licence for Outpost Pro, may I ask your advice:

a. does the combined use of Defensewall and Sandboxie render Outpost Pro redundant and would the built in XP firewall suffice?

b. if it is worth hanging on to Outpost Pro, then would I have to disable Outpost's HIPS function to avoid conflict with Defensewall's HIPS function?

Thanks, and best wishes

PS: should have made clear that I merely intend to stop real time AV protection.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  2. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Do some research on posts here how to configure DW with Sandboxie. It appears to be a very good combo from what I have read. I am using DW with Outpost (with HIPS set to maximum). No problems as they cover things differently. The HIPS in Outpost is more like a classical HIPS. DW is a sandbox with white listing. I still use an AV to cover known threats.

3. jm0307

jm0307 Registered Member

Hello G1111,

Thanks for your reply. Good to know that I can hang on to OP, as I have become accustomed to its interface.

4. arran

arran Registered Member

Using the defense wall and sandboxie combo seems a waste of resources in my opinion, in reality its not good idea to use both of them.

Reason being while they are both installed you are only using 1 at a time. while programs are running in sandboxie they are running as trusted for defense wall and defense wall is sitting there doing absolutely nothing and Vice - versa. You cannot runs programs in sandboxie while at the same time run it as Untrused.

5. arran

arran Registered Member

yea ok I should of said it is not practical to run firefox.exe as untrusted as well as sandboxed, due to slow downs.

because Defense walls Untrusted default list is only a certain size not everything is ran as Untrusted. Defense wall only provides a partial amount
    of system wide protection.

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

@ssj100 listen to this:if you recover a file to the user space/destop/my documents and if you run my documents folder to be force to be sandbox,then any files recovered in that folder when open will be force to open sandbox;) got it:D

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

which one will you prefer to use combo defensewall/sandboxie or geswall/sandboxie?

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i used defensewall and sandboxie before

9. arjunned

arjunned Registered Member

I use Sandboxie and GeSWall. Works very well. Haven't had a hiccup once. And its not as complicated as the defensewall-sandboxie combo i think? Not sure though. Haven't tried that out.

10. arjunned

arjunned Registered Member

Sure. SHould i post it here or PM you? Not sure if its off-topic here.

11. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Being an Outpost user since version 1 (off and on), I think the answer to your question is two parts.

The first part is primary, will OPFW work with your other software correctly. If no, then you have your answer lol.

If yes, then IMHO you need to decide just what you want your firewall to do. I have not looked at DW firewall at all. But I do know that most peeps who use OPFW like it for specific reasons. I think you simply need to decide if you like the features of OPFW or DW more. Using those two programs appears to provide some very high amounts of security by all accounts thus far, so I should imagine it comes to the theory that you don't really 'need' a firewall, but if you desire one, which one is more comfortable for you and provides the best 'feel'. After all, if you can go with or without one, it really is not a matter of 'needing' it but 'desiring' it, and you choose the one you like the best.

If that makes sense.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.