Moving OS to larger HDD

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by hapzfl, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hapzfl

hapzfl Registered Member

I intend to move my Win7-64 to a larger HDD but I do not like to just copy the whole old HDD to the new HDD. And the option to resize partitions proportionally is not what I want either. I want (almost) total freedom for the patrition sizes on the new larger HDD.

I want to use the following procedure instead: copy individual partitions (instead of the whole disk) and resize each of them individually.

I assume that after all of these individual partition operations are finished I will have a fully functional and bootable new Win7 HDD once I remove my old HDD?

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Most likely Windows will boot correctly.

But I would recommend to create Windows Repair CD prior to migration:
    * Click Start, All Programs, Maintenance, Create a System Repair Disc
    * Insert a CD/DVD into the drive and press Create disc

If there will be any issues booting from new drive, boot from created Repair CD and perform Startup repair.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Based on my experiences I would just copy the whole drive to the new one. Then you just use Disk Management to individually resize the partitions as you wish. Any time I have moved to a larger disk I just pick the partition in Disk Management and expand any size up to the maximum available disk space.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.