Moving/merging partitions - updating shortcuts, reg entries etc.?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by SHSH, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SHSH

SHSH Registered Member

Hi,
    I've looked all over to try to find a useful tool in Acronis Disk Director that PartitionMagic 8.x has. It's called DriveMapper. With this tool if I change or move partitions around that changes the drive letter, DriveMapper will auto launch (in PM8.x) and automatically search and change the drive letter for Registry entries, shortcuts, etc for applications and files so that I don't have to manually do this on a case-by-case basis. Does Acronis Disk Director v10 have a tool like it? If so, where is it and what is it called? If not, what are my options or workarounds?

Thanks

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Disk Director does not have a tool similar to PM8's Drive Mapper.

I have PM8, and if you read the description of how Drive Mapper works it is so limited in capability that its value is questionable. First, it will only work with Win95, Win98, and WinME. Second, it only works with FAT or FAT32 partitions. Finally, it cannot change the OS drive letter. It has the most value for keeping the drive letter of your CD-ROM from changing, and that's about it.

The way to deal with drive letters in Windows is to understand how Windows will assign them. (The reference is for Windows 2000 but the rules haven't changed much, so Microsoft hasn't updated this article in a while). Once you know how Windows "thinks" then you can plan partition changes in a way that will avoid these problems.

3. SHSH

SHSH Registered Member

Thats so wrong, man. It works fine with WinXP and NTFS.

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Does it? I never tested this to find out. I'm just going by what it says in the manual on pages 84 - 85. I have version 8.05.1371 and the documentation has a file date of May 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.