Moving existing .tib file into a new backup location

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dsn, Dec 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsn

dsn Registered Member

I'm a fairly new TI user (still using version 10). Hope this question makes a little sense!

Up to now I've been dumping all my .tib backup files into a single backup location folder that I created on a second internal HD. This backup folder has several rules (number of backups and age of backups) tied to it. I'm doing a weekly full backup (and daily differential backups) of a partition that only contains application data files. These backups don't need to be kept longer than a month or two, which is why I attached the rules to this folder.

Now that I've used true image for a while, I'm realizing that I probably should be using two backup locations with different sets of rules. Several of my backups are partition images of my Windows system partition. These images were created at several points as I was installing Windows XP and applications to a new hard drive. I'd like to keep these images indefinitely since they represent a known clean configuration, and I can always revert back to them if something goes south in the future. However, since they're in the same folder as my data file backups, they are subject to deletion at some time down the road since they're the oldest files in that folder.

What I'm wondering is, can I create a second backup location folder, that doesn't have any rules tied to it, and drag my existing system partition image files into it? Even though these files were created before this second backup location was created, will they "obey" the rules of the new folder?

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You can move them around jsut like any other files -- however, if you are using inc or diff files, then you need to keep the incs/diffs with thier respective Full as a set.

If you put say 10 files in a Backup Location made with a rule limit set for 9, then when you next run ATI to that Locatin, the "extras" will be deleted.

Other than that, you can move, copy, etc jsut like any other files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.