moving archives

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by beethoven, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I understand that archives should better be stored on a separate drive from the OS. Just wondering if I do have archives on my C drive, can I cut/paste them to another drive or can you only do this within FirstDefense_ISR, ie creating a new archive?

2. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

If you go to Tools > Options > Archives you can select where to create your archives. As for copying an existing archive elsewhere, I have not tried that, but I don't see why not

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

You can store or copy/paste or even burn archives on DVD at any time.
    The most convenient one is storing an Archive folder in Tools/Options/Archives and use copy/update to create/update/restore archives.

Burning archives on DVD is absurd because you can't use them anymore with copy/update as source or destination snapshot.
    So the best place for archives is an external/internal harddisk.

Storing archives on [C:] is possible, but makes them useless, if your [C:] is corrupted.

You always have to keep the worst scenario in mind, when you design a backup/restore solution either with IB and/or ISR .

4. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

You can cut/paste archives to new location (I've done this) and then change the option within FDISR for new ones per above instructions.

Rob

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

There is still at least one possibility i think is worth a try. If you have a program that makes virtual disks per a file, say open notepad and just save the empty file as (all files) with the required extension, i think mine is .sdv, and it allows to format it with NTFS, i just wonder if FD-ISR would accept it as a valid storage area.

I'm going to try this tonight i think if i don't get interrupted by anything because this is been bugging me for awhile. The single drawback if it would work would be the DVD capacity which we all know is only 4.7Gb i believe.

Anyone tried this at all?

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

To write an archive to DVD, you normally use the function "Export" of FDISR and that works, because I have tested this long ago with CD's, I didn't have DVD's yet in those days.
    I didn't test the function "Import" to restore the archive on DVD into a new or existing snapshot, because the export was already sooo sloooow. :)

7. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

thanks, I had not been able to do my first archive to the non-os drive as this drive had not been formatted at the time.
    I have made the changes now, so for future archives this is no problem.

I will cut/paste the original archives over - this was my Baby archive (just the OS) after the new installation of the OS, so I would like to keep a copy handy.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Not sure how practical my virtual (file) drive copied to DVD approach would prove to be but with FD-ISR, the imagination tends to fan out to all sorts of new ideas. Guess thats why i treasure this ISR on the same order as my safety net imaging programs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.