Mounting an Image as a Drive, how complete is it?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Qapf, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qapf

Qapf Registered Member

When you right click and mount a tib file as a drive in windows, exactly how complete is the mount. Is the access granted to the filesystem simply file level and things like MBR are simply ignored, or is it complete enough that you could do things like mount the resulting drive in vmware and have it boot?

Thanks

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Short answer is that I don't know for sure but:

Mount used to be called Plug in earlier versions

The intent is to provide access for recovering a few files without restoring the whole image

The image can be mounted as RW but the writing part is done by creating an incremental backup with the changes, not modifying the actual archive.

My opinion is that it is not a Mount in the typical OS sense and won't do what you want it to. You may get other opinions.

3. Qapf

Qapf Registered Member

Well ok, let me ask this then in a different way.

I have a series of servers located in remote locations on pipes to which transmitting a full backup even every 30 days is not possible, which would mean I would end up with a huge pile of incrimentals until I could physically go do a full backup and transfer it via an offline backup solution, like an external drive. I want to be able to combine incrimentals into the full backup set. This functionality only exists in the presence of the Acronis backup server software, which I don't believe works over low bandwidth connections (less than lan) and the contents of which can't easily be mirrored to a local staging drive as well as a remote server.

What I was thinking was that I could mount the images for the server as a drive, then run a full backup against the mount to generate a new full backup image, and by doing this action both on the remote and on the local side, the end result should match up perfectly so there is no need to transfer a new full image.

This of course would be about 50x easier if you could just combine incrimentals by hand, like Symantec Backup Exec Server Edition (formerly livestate) allows you to do, but I have this, not that, and have to work within my boundries.

Is this possible? or am I dreaming.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Qapf,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that virtual drive mounted by means of the Acronis True Image embedded Mount Image tool cannot be backed up or mounted in virtual machine of any kind. All currently available Acronis True Image versions allow backing up physical hard drives only. VMware and the alike software allows mounting virtual drives of it's own format or physical hard drives as well.

As for consolidating set of backups consisting of the initial full backup and a number of consequently created incrementals into the new full backup without the use of Acronis Backup Server, we can only suggest you the following workaround: restore set of backups that needs to be consolidated to a spare hard drive and create a new full backup of the restored data.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.