Mounting a drive over VPN ? - Comodo VPN alternatives ?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by sebastian___, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sebastian___

sebastian___ Registered Member

COMODO EasyVPN is perfect for making a connection to another computer over internet.
    And it also has a nice indicator - DIRECT IP or not, to indicate if the connection is direct (per to per I think). If the connection is direct then the speed is very good.

The program is free and simple to use. The only problem - very very often their servers are offline, sometimes staying that way even days. This makes the program unusable. For now at least.

There must be similar alternatives.

I'm not looking for a VPN to protect my privacy. I'm just looking for a easy and light and simple VPN program to make a fast direct connection to another computer/computers.

Most discussions and comparisons of VPN programs I found talk about speed and how many MB and GB free you have. BUt with a program like COMODO which makes a direct connection - you don't care about speed, because you have the maximum speed possible between 2 computers.

Do any of this programs offer this ? Do anyone know a program like this ?
    Strongvpn
    Wippien
    Tunngle

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Just use OpenVPN. Or you could just mount over SSH.

3. sebastian___

This OpenVPN ? http://openvpn.net/

Well I had a look on the website, but it seems they offer multiple downloads, multiple solutions, they also have a payed solution. And a quick guide to use their program include terms like "using an X509 PKI" and other weird words and also an optional GUI so I take it the default OpenVPN doesn't have a GUI ? And that optional GUI looks very spartan. SO this seems like is not a click and install solution which will work without any difficult setups.

While I'm looking for a nice easy software like Comodo VPN

Comodo vpn screenshots

http://screens.alternativeto.net/8dbe6246-fc7f-4b3d-9447-f3c2625e2658_2_full.gif

http://images.six.betanews.com/screenshots/1238563033-1.gif

http://www.lanbridger.com/ seems also to offer a VPN solution for LAN networking over the internet

So the list would be :

Wippien - it does have the LAN "simulation" connection
    Cons - it could be slower than Comodo VPN

Tunngle
    LanBridger
    Comodo VPN (broken for now)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  4. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

sebastian what are the tasks performed with these mounted drives? If they are simply being used to move files over or remote connect into the computers themselves then mirimir's assessment is correct, a much simpler approach would be to utilize SSH or SFTP over SSH.

The reason I mention SSH, is there is no middle man (using VPN servers you do not personally own), and if you can get the task done without a middle man then all the better. Though if there is no other choice but to use a VPN I'll see if I cant do a little digging for you on plug-n-play solutions.

5. sebastian___

EncryptedBytes : Well, that sounds good. But I don't just need to move some files, but instead mounting a drive or a folder from another computer - as a drive in my computer - would be the ideal workflow. This is something that you can easily do with a computer from a LAN, and these VPN programs allow you to do just that with a computer from the internet.

Another problem which these programs can bypass, is to create a direct connection even if you are behind routers and firewalls. And no, I don't have access control to the routers and I can't forward ports and so on.

So I would like to try a solution involving SSH if this is not slower and if it can work with the problems mentioned above.

I also installed Wippien and I wrote in the post above about the cons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.