mount rollback rx hdd on another os??

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by rice4lunch, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rice4lunch

rice4lunch Registered Member

i was tesing out rollback rx 8.11.

1) can i make rollback to take snapshot of d:\ drive as well?

2) i tried to view an hdd w/ rollback installed on it on another xp computer. but all i could see was the baseline snapshot files. how do i make my other snapshots show up?

3) also, if i add files to this drive, will it corrupt my data?
    i did a test on vmware and was able to view the added files when i was using the baseline snapshot, but not the other snapshots.

2. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Only if it is on the same physical drive as your system partition. RB only works on one physical drive but can work on multiple partitions on that drive.

You have to configure this when you install RB. If you accept the default install then it will protect all partitions on your system drive. If you select the custom install option then you get the option of choosing which partitions are protected (the C: drive is always protected).

They won't show up as they can only be 'seen' via the RB driver. Externally, you will only ever see the baseline files.

Yes, there's a very good chance that you will corrupt your data. RB uses what appears to be the empty sectors on the drive and keeps its own map of where everything is. If the RB driver doesn't have control of where those files are being put then there's a fair chance they will overwrite snapshot data...with dire consequences :ouch: . The moral being, don't do anything to a RB protected drive unless the RB driver is in control :) .

Graham

3. rice4lunch

thanks for the explaination, i was looking for a software that does what vmware snapshot manager does except natively on the host, and rollback comes close. but it seems the technical troubleshooting, should anything goes wrong, is more troublesome.

i don't understand why drive image came with this applicaiton. i tried the recovery and it only backup/recover the baseline. and when restored, RB was uninstalled with all snapshots lost. would i have gotten a better result simply using norton ghost 2003?

riceball.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

You need to use a backup program that has sector by sector imaging if you want to be able to backup all your snapshots.

5. rice4lunch

you are right, it worked. i used acronis true image boot cd and did a sect-by-sect backup including free space. the c drive was 3gb, and the backup image w/ normal compression was 2gb.

thanks.
    rice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.