Motherboard with Prescott and Hyper-Threading Technology

Discussion in 'hardware' started by m00nbl00d, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Hello folks,

I got a desktop computer I bought from a family member to perform some tasks. It has an Intel Pentium 4 and 1 GB of RAM. I want to upgrade with, at least, more 2 GB of RAM.

I opened the desktop, and there are 4 memory slots. 2 make mention to something like Prescott memory (I forgot to write it down... bummer... I need to re-check and now I can't) and the other 2 make mention to Hyper-Threading.

Both 2 sets of slots have different colors. Those that mention Prescott are blue and the ones mentioning Hyper-Threading are purple, or something like that.

The memories modules in the Prescott slots are 512MB each and 400MHz, which is the frequency accepted on those slots.

The memories that need to be put on the other Hyper-Threading slots have 667MHz as frequency.

I pretty much know nothing about hardware... Shameful, I know... But, I'm gaining interest ;)...But, the only think I knew about Prescott is the CPU and not memory (And, I was right. It was my mistake. ;)).

Anyway... if I had DDR memory to the Hyper-Threading slots with 667MHz of frequency, everything should be fine, no?
    What sort of problems may I find?

Hope you guys and girls don't mind this silly questions, but for me are important ones... And, without asking, I'll never learn about it. ;)

Thank you

Edit: Some more info I forgot to share. I got CPUID to check on the type memory, and it reported DDR. It also said that the FSB was 200MHz, but the first time I open the box, I saw that the memory module said 400MHz and not 200MHz. So, I guess this CPUID is not that great tool?

Anyway, I wanted also to ask if, and is all I've found so far in online computer shops, if the DDR is DDR2? That's all I can find for DDR 667MHz. It's all DDR2.

Edit2: I finally found the web site for the mainboard http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pr...ailID=507&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=1&LanID=0

For what I can understand, the mainstream Dual-channel DDR400 are already filled, because that's what I found in the mainboard slots. So, now I can get DDR2 677MHz and place them on the other two slots.

I just hope it won't blow up! lol

Anyway, I think this is solved... unless something goes wrong. Maybe a moderator can close the thread, if you find it not needed to remain open? Thank you.

Edit 3: Sometimes, things really get confused, without any need! The damn Prescott and Hyper-Threading words on the board, along side the memory slots, were actually for the CPU!!!! LOL

Anyway, it seems that I can only use either DDR or DDR2, as this two aren't compatible.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Give crucial scan ago and see what they recommend.

I don't think you can mix DDR and DDR2 ah I see you found this out.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  3. m00nbl00d

Yes, I have. Thank you, anyway.

Regards

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

It all depends on precisely identifying your motherboard and what its specification manual says. I have an Intel P4 that takes 4GB max. I orginally had 1GB same as you, but I bought an extra 2GB, first tried it w/only the 2GB, then decided to run it with the 2-512MB as well. I am swaying toward adding another 2GB to bring it fully up to 4GB - i.e. w/o the orginal 2-512MB chips. I used the crucial website to identify what I needed, but as I said up front - you have to know what motherboard you have.

-- Tom

5. m00nbl00d

Yes, indeed. What, initially, caused me confusion, was the fact that, in the motherboard, right along side the slots where there is mention to which slots accept what (Like if it accepts 400 MHz or 677 MHz memory modules.), there's also mention to Prescott and Hyper-Threading, lined up with the 400 MHz and 677 Mhz, which are right above the slots.

Only later I realized that the words Prescott and Hyper-Threading had nothing to do with the memory slots, or what memory they handle, and was meant to let the user know what type of CPU it handles (Which that was the only thing I knew about the words Prescott and Hyper-Threading; that they were and are Intel technology for one of their CPUs). This really made me confusion, because of the words being all so lined up.

Anyway, later on I also found the manufacturer web site, and the motherboard will only accept either 2 GB of DDR memory or 2 GB of DDR2 memory. The two can't be mixed up. So, I just bought 2 GB of DDR2 memory (1 GB + 1 GB, due to the fact that the motherboard handles dual-channel.)

Regards

Edit: But, I must tell you. After this, I know a bit more about hardware. ;)

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

BTW, what is your motherboard model?

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.