Motherboard brand?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by FanJ, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Which mobo brand would you advise?

I think I will go with an Intel i5-4570 processor.
    I have been thinking about a Z87 mobo.

Initially I thought about an Asus mobo. I talked on the phone with a shop, that build custom PC for you and give you advice. The guy I talked with, told me: Asus may give better driver updates if needed, but if the Mobo gets broken, we cannot repair it in the shop and it has to repaired by Asus. A mobo from Gigabyte on the other hand they can repair in the shop. Well, this all if I understood it right.
    Remember I cannot fix anything myself due to my eyes. Any fix has to be done by a shop.

Any advice and thoughts?

PS:
    Previous threads:
    Case: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/new-computer-case.360905/
    Monitor: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/new-monitor.362755/

2. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

I have always used ASUS and have never had an issue with a single board in about 18 years. I have built a few PC's for others with Gigabyte board (their choice) and they were very nice, and I have one PC I built for my daughter with an ASRock, it was decent as well. My money though, it will be an ASUS board. Call me a fanboy if you want, but they have yet to let me down.

EDIT: My current board if a ASUS Maximus VI Extreme. I guess I should put that in my sig.

3. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

I had a 6 years old ASUS motherboard and I still have one which is 4. In fact I can't remember having problems with my motherboards ever.

Personally I can't believe that they bother repairing hardware these days instead of simply replacing it.

4. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Third vote for Asus. Ive used Asus laptops, motherboards, GPU's, etc for the last 5 years. All of which is still functioning as it should today.

5. henryg

henryg Registered Member

My vote goes to MSI...

6. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Asus, MSI, Intel, Gigabyte -- all good stuff.

The fact that a shop can repair one type of board vs. another is pretty much a statement about the shop's capabilities, and nothing about the boards themselves. They probably only know one brand, and that's it.

7. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I've never had problems with ASUS, Gigabyte, or Intel. You really couldn't go wrong with any of them.

8. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thank you all for your replies; appreciated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.