Most Reliable AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by EASTER.2010, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Being the skeptic i am and from suffering thru av limitations over the years i discovered that KAV 6 is up to the task at shielding away almost all leak test i brought to bare on it.

This is the very first AV that i can honestly say satisfies my every expectation from what i seen it do. Is KAV 6 always been this efficient?

There is a lot of hoopla over NOD32 but KAV 6 seems to be iron clad in what should be expected from an antivirus.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or opions?

Mind you, it easily and safely co-exists with these other security shielding programs.

ProcessGuard (free)
    System Safety Monitor
    Snoopfree
    AVG 7.5 (free)
    Resists all terminstions from APT
    Tiny Watcher
    power shadow

Is KAV 6 Suite really that perfect?

And oh yes, i even am running Kerio 2.15 without so much a an issue, you may say i'm runnung (2) firewalls which is always frowned on but are working together without issue.
    Id KAV 6 Best of the best?

Thanks

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well kis6.0 can not turn on at startup sometimes but thats the bad ram that i need to get replaced and not kaspersky's fault.
    but kis6.0 sure does a god job at blocking stuff if anything dangerous trys to stop it.
    recently i have seen quite alot of people go ffrom using nod32 for years but switching to kav6.0 due to the fact its as light or even lighter than nod32 but provides better detection
    lodore

3. egghead

egghead Registered Member

KAV 6 is not a suite, KIS is;)

Perfection does not exist in this business, but Kaspersky is as close to it as you can get. Kaspersky shines in every department: av, proactive defense, custommer support, signatures updates (every hour if nessecary; what's the use of an AV that updates 1/2 a week? Some names come to mind:p )

Ran KAV 5 for more than a year together with a firewalled router as my only protection. It kept my rig as clean as a churchfloor. I'm running KAV 6 now.

KAV6 + SSM (paid version) + firewalled router= all you need for protection. Less is more !

4. yeuxbleus

yeuxbleus Registered Member

Correct! Especially when you consider the entire package that is KAV!

100% agreed!

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

KAV is as near perfect as you can want from an AV,

but i still think the suite is quite some distance of perfect.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

kaspersky is about the closest thing to perfect suite.
    its just a shame i havent got a good pc to use it on:D
    but if i get a weekend job i will get a dual core pc soon
    lodore

7. fosius

fosius Registered Member

Well, maybe other AVs have much better heuristics so they don't need to be updated so often..

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

F Secure, anything else, is just fluff.:p

9. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Those of you members who offer your opinions on KIS (my bad on kav) i take seriously and even though it's very early on, i find it exceeds my expectations surprisingly. I say that not to pitch Kaspersky into a common class but on the contrary, seems it is the exception to that rule. At least it's my experience with it so far. Most all other AV's have brought attention to issues or conflicts in one form or another "BUT", in all honesty, this is the very first AV where everything has gone very well and up to my own satisfaction.

If this continues, KASPERSKY will have won my utmost respect and admiration for it's development team which for me would be a first.

So thanks for weighing in with your comments.

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Avira is better than KAV. KAV has one major, very scary problem and that is that it messes with chkdsk. And the damage does not go away when you uninstall KAV.

Avira is simpler and that is good because there is less likelihood of serious problems.

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I have read several references to a CHKDSK problem. Is this the same CHKDSK that is related to the DOS command which just lists the hard drive information results?

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I think you said almost everything... :D

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Having trialled FSIS and Avira internet suite, I found Avira did not run well, and FS 2007 did. I have not trialled KIS, but KAV MP2 was buggy on my system.

The best/most reliable one is the one that runs best on your system. For me that is FSIS 2007 at this particular time. If it had 100% detection rates in all tests, it would not be good if it crashed from time to time.

Best,
    Jerry

14. btman

btman Registered Member

Easter I have had the same experience with KIS. When I used malware samples on all my security programs... After I was done I uninstalled NOD32 2.7 (trial was about to die) and installed KIS once again and it found 6 more infections, and I tried to re-download all the malware I had on my computer before that AVG Anti-spyware, A-Squared, Spyware Terminator and NOD32 had removed.... And KIS blocked them all. I have nothing bad to say about it... But heuristics didn't stop all the malware I threw at it, I even used NOD32's deepest scan with advanced heuristics and all those other options which makes it scan a little bit slower/better on.

JerryM Kaspersky has never crashed on me, sorry it has for you. (I'm assuming that "If it had 100% detection rates in all tests, it would not be good if it crashed from time to time." is referring to Kaspersky?

Mele20, I seem to be able to run chkdsk fine. And I'm pretty sure Avira has its own issues with FP from its powerful heuristics and other little things.

15. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

To be honest, I'd say if anyone is going to use chkdsk or defragging, I'd suggest they turn off the real-time monitoring of the AV anyway while that operation is in process.

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi btman,
    It would apply to any AV. I did not mean it specifically for Kaspersky.

I think that all AVs give problems on some machines, but only for a small percentage. Most will have no problems. Until MP2 KAV 6 has been a great AV for me, and I have returned to that version.

It is small consolation if my system crashes to know that the other 99.9% of folks had no problem.

Best,
    Jerry

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2007
  17. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

You must be referring either to an earlier version where that issue existed in limited numbers or else SP1 has saved the day for me to keep KIS6 free of conflicts for me. I not experienced anything remotely similar that you suggest of it nor expect any frankly. Remember i not have KAV but the entire KIS6 Suite. I think thats the difference really.

I did have tremendous trouble with Avira even though i really would have liked to keep it, same for Avast & Bit Defender who finds it convenient to load up so many processes at one time.

18. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

err...chkdsk runs at boot before anything loads so what are you talking about?

Kaspersky 2006/KIS 2006 CORRUPTS FILES AND THE DAMAGE IS PERMANENT. It doesn't happen on every computer but for those for whom it happens.. . UGH. As far I know, there is no way to tell before installing KAV if you will be a lucky user or an unlucky one. The majority of users don't appear to have a problem. But then the damage didn't appear with chkdsk for me until I had KAV installed for four months and gradually got worse the longer I had KAV. On the computers that have damage, it appears faster if you run full on demand scans which I NEVER did (thank goodness) with KAV so that I think limited the damage, but I now either have to reformat, or live with chkdsk hanging at 6% finished on Stage 2 and again on the last stage and taking a great deal longer to complete than it did before I installed KAV when I had no hangs and chkdsk finished quickly.

19. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Kaspersky runs great for me, so do alot of other AVs, but i've settled with Kaspersky because I like its ProactiveDefense Module, light on resources, great support and fast update of signatures (and quick replies from VirusLab).
    There's allways the odd person who has problems with any AV... Kaspersky works fine for me and my friends though!

20. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I have no doubts that the opposite situation can perfectly happen... :)

If you know about an AV that protects 100%... ;)

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the only reason kav has crashed on this pc is sometimes its unstable as ive said and ive got to get my stupid dad to buy some new ram:D
    lodore

22. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hey:

ZA now offers KAV on some basis or other on their suite.

I've been thinking about going over to KAV that way BUT

The possible use by KAV of CHKDSK scares the *&*&^% out of me as I just had big time trouble when CHKDSK was run on my PC! Had to restore PC from image backup.

Is there anybody out there who knows if KAV really messes with CHKDSK and if so why they have the need for that? Maybe all these AV's and ASW's do the same??:doubt:

23. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

KAV may mess with chkdisk because it stores checksums in Alternate Data Streams in order to imporve scanning times. These ADS cause that the MTF become fragmented and chkdisk struggles to "repair" it under certain conditions.

24. jmc777

jmc777 Registered Member

KAV/KIS v6 doesn't use ADS.

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

im not sure as i dont use it,

i thought kaspersky use NTFS 'Alternate Data Streams' to hold checksum data about files on the user's system

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.