Most knowledgeable Firefox user wanted...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRCATES, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

...for help!

Anyone who is a pseudo expert on Firefox products and their web browser...and wouldn't mind helping me out with a few questions and some directions....I would greatly appreciate it if you would kindly volunteer your services via this thread or PM to help me in my dilemma (I have this sinking suspicion that I won't get any takers...but I'm willing to give it a shot ;))

2. dog

dog Guest

Ask away ...

3. JRCATES

I think I'm getting there, Steve. I downloaded an "External Application Button" for Firefox, but was originally stuck after downloading it to my desktop. I want to use it to:

1) add a printer icon to the browser toolbar (as comes with IE, but not FF), to print directly from the browser by clicking on the printer icon (DONE! It works! YES!), and
    2) add an email icon....not for my default email client (Outlook Express, which I can open by going to Tools>Read mail)....but to open Thunderbird (which I'm in the process of TRYING to accomplish).

Are you familiar with their External Application Button, or with a program called Launchy?

I've installed the External Application Button...and that is how I added the printer icon...but I haven't began with Thunderbird yet. Any ideas how this will turn out? Or suggestions? ;) :doubt:

4. JRCATES

DONE! I did it! The printer icon AND the Thunderbird icon are both now added to the Firefox web browser....and are fully functional too! Man, now I can breathe a HUGE sigh of relief that I didn't SCREW anything up!

Thanks for volunteering your time and effort, though, Steve...I honestly didn't expect any takers (LOL)....

Last edited: Jul 3, 2005
  5. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

If you right-click on the Firefox toolbar and choose customize, you'll see that you can add various buttons or remove ones you don't want.

6. JRCATES

Yep, Meltdown...that's what I used to "drag and drop" the printer and applications icon (for Thunderbird) to the toolbar. Not sure if I would have been able to do so without downloading the External Applications Button or not, but that was the advice that someone in the Mozilla forums gave me, so I followed it and it worked brilliantly. No worries now, I got the printer and Thunderbird icon that I wanted (and they both work too!) :D

7. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

You would have been able to do that without the extension, but after reading your earlier post more carefully I'm not sure you would have been able to configure the email button to work with T-bird rather than your default email client.

8. JRCATES

I think you're right....because I began by asking how to add the ability to access Thunderbird rather than Outlook Express through Firefox. The advice came after asking about T-Bird but before I mentioned the desire to add the printer icon (which came later). But since I had to drag "Applications" to the toolbar, and then search for thunderbird.exe and add it, my guess is that you are absolutely correct (that the printer would not require the extension download...but that Thunderbird would).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.