More screenshoots and user manual for the firewall part

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by chrizio, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrizio

chrizio Guest

Anybody know any site with more screenshots and more user manual for
    the ESS Home, the firewall part, than those from ESET?

I'm considering switching to ESET firewall but have no possibilities to try it out
    in prior. ESET AV already in use for several years. All my machines are work-PC, they won't accept testing a new firewall.
    So the only one possibility I have in order to decide if buying or not, is to get familiarized with this product based on user manuals and screen shots,
    and reviewing comments of ESS users.
    The manual issued by ESET is very short.
    One can't get a filling how nice working with this firewall is.

The intention is following, if the firewall part of ESS Home doesn't have some specific features I won't change to Eset solution. Here I mean pretty nice and
    user friendly ui like that one of Kerio PFW. I can change to ESS-firewall only if its ui of its firewall has similar properties.
    If ESS's firewall won't satisfy me I will stay on ESET AV for the next license period. But once again, no testing possible. Neither resources, nor time, nor
    mind.

Yes, that's right, in my opinion a good firewall has not only to have good engine but the gui also should be producing as few overhead as possible during interacting with firewall.

2. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello chrizio,

We have articles on ESS with screen shots here: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=home

These forums are also a good place to search and find out more about ESS. I will be happy to answer any questions that you have.

Thank you,
    Richard

3. chrizio

chrizio Guest

Hi,

ESET KB articles discuss generally basic questions.
    I tried to find there answers to my questions but I didn't find.
    This forum discusses ESS rather from the point of view of issue solving than
    of product presentation. Furthermore few threads concentrate on the firewall part only. I tried, but I didn't find answers here as well.

What are the awards especially the firewall of ESS has gathered?

IMHO a good firewall has not only to have a good engine but also to be user-friendly in the user-software interaction.

My current firewall has some stuff I love and I expect from the new firewall:
    1. Pretty detailed connections overview
    - particular applications
    - existing connections of each application
    - bit rate indication for each existing connection
    2. Packet filter logs working in on-line mode (not as those of COMODO)
    3. ICS support
    4. Packet filter editor/viewer
    - possibility to create a copy of existing filter rule
    - creation and usage of predefined address groups
    - deactivating a filter rule without deleting it
    - filter rule groups
    - alarm on filter rule strokes
    5. Easy and quick switching between log window, connections overview and filter rule editor
    6. Disable/Enable firewall, allow all traffic
    7. Filter rule export/import, the same for other firewall configuration data

I could change to ESS if its firewall part fulfills these requirements.

4. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello chrizio,

It is definitely recommended to try any product (if possible) before purchasing to make sure that it fit your needs. Download the trial and test on a non production machine.

Thank you,
    Richard

5. chrizio

chrizio Guest

No chance. Sorry. No time, no testing system, no mind to test.

I don't understand what is here for testing at all!
    Firewall has simple task to fulfill:
    keep a set of packet filter rules. Each incoming/outgoing to pass through this filter. In some cases (like here) important point is also the minimal overhead of user interaction with firewall - easy in use. If firewall can't filter packets, it's not worth the effort of test installation. Aspects of UI user affability can be described in user manual. That's my point of view.
    ESET that's not the way you can gain new customers.

I have given up, I won't do more researches about moving to ESS.
    I know some AV/Firewall combination I can apply rapidly.
    Without any additional pre-purchase efforts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.