More reliable as a RTM

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Wanderer, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wanderer

Wanderer Guest

F-Prot or NOD32? They are both wonderfully fast, but I'm not sure which to keep as my RTM. Only annoyance with F-Prot so far is the lack of options in the RTM component.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually, either will do the job just fine and they are both low resource AV products, so it may simply come down to which feature set you like the best. (i.e. available options, look & feel, etc.)

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I agree with LowWaterMark,

Both are excellent products and either will give you good protection.

However, I did have this choice with my laptop with XP Pro and you cannot, as you say, alter any settings of the RTM. F-prot is therefore a 'bare-bones' scanner which overall is now looking a little threadbare compared to other AV programs.

Therefore I chose NOD as my running monitor. In particular, I receive several hundred e-mails/week on this works laptop and therefore IMON the additional e-mail scanner with NOD tipped the balance.

Highly subjective, but I liked the NOD GUI better and 'felt' slightly better protected on this machine with AMON rather than the F-prot Monitor.

On my lower spec machines however, AMON considerably increased the bootup time, so here I went with F-Prot.

F-prot for Windows 4 should however, add a lot more 'bells and whistles' when released in the new year and offer better value for money.

One further consideration may be software conflicts as potentially either of the monitors may not interact smoothly with the programs on your machine. Personally, I have never had any such problems with either monitor on a variety of different computers.

Overall which ever one you choose as the RTM or the backup scanner, together they will offer good protection. However,take into account that the NODv2 now has a much better unpacking engine than F-Prot and therefore may be the better one to mainly use for your on-demand scanning;

http://www.rokop-security.de/main/article.php?sid=632&mode=thread&order=0

4. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

I use both at the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.