More Installation Problems

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Robert Castles, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Castles

Robert Castles Registered Member

I had been running NOD32 for most of it's trial period and because I was very impressed, I ordered and downloaded ESS. The installer file is ess_nt32_enu.msi. I'm running a completely (as of 4/15/2009) patched/updated Windows 2000 machine that is part of a small home network. The installation of ESS proceeds as it should until the screen that asks me to choose what I would like to do with potentialy unwanted programs. At that point, the "Next" button is greyed out and no choices are displayed when trying to activate the pulldown. I can't go any further. I've tried this repeatedly with files downloaded at different times.

The deinstallation of NOD32 apparently went fine. I've seached the registry for traces of NOD32 and ESS and removed the few keys I found. I ran the Windows installer cleanup utility and it showed no traces of any ESET stuff. I ran Sysinspector and it showed no traces of anything except Sysinspector itself. I had, before the installation of NOD32 about a month ago used McAfee. I removed their stuff and used the cleanup program to remove residue.

I've contacted ESET via their support website. They have not responded.

Anyone have any advice?

2. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

How did you uninstall NOD32?

Which Username and Password did you enter in the installation setup of ESET Smart Security?

If you used Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel then that may be causing your problem.

Try this: reinstall your NOD32 Trial. Go ahead and update it also. Give your system a couple of reboots. A complete shutdown and unplugging the system for a minute or 2 wouldn't hurt either.

Next, use the same NOD32 Trial installation package to uninstall the NOD32 Trial. Once it's finished you'll have to reboot. If you want to delete any Registry keys, go ahead, but it's really not necessary. Go ahead an try installing ESET Smart Security again. As your going through the installation setup make sure you enter the Username and Password for your newly purchased ESET Smart Security. You should have gotten a completely different Username and Password compared to the Trial Username and Password emailed to you after your purchase.

Hope this helps.

3. Robert Castles

The username and password I used when (attempting to) install ESS were the ones supplied in the email I recieved from ESET after I downloaded and paid for ESS.

I did use the Add/Remove entity from the control panel, but the result was not typical. I seemed clear to me that ESET had modified the process since the resulting screens looked different that what usually appars when uninstalling and contained (I think I remember this) their logo.

I will, however, do as you suggest and try to reinstall my NOD32 trial.

4. Robert Castles

I just tried reinstalling my original NOD32 trial package. The result is the same as when trying to install my "official" ESS package. That is, it gets to the screen asking me what to do with unwanted software and stops with a grayed-out "next" key and no pulldown options. So I can't perform an install/uninstall cycle of NOD32. A good idea. Got any others?

5. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

I'm wondering if you might have damaged your Registry with deleting some of those keys. Did you happen to back-up your Registry before you started deleting all those keys? Windows 2000 has a very touchy Registry. You could have easily deleted one critical key by mistake which could cause some damage.

You may need to wipe/reformat then reinstall Win2000 from scratch.

6. Robert Castles

I did nothing to the registry until I was unable to install ESS so I don't think that can be the problem. I'm definitely not going through the hassle of reinstalling Windows. If worst comes to worst I'll just have to go back to McAfee or some other less tempermental software.

7. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

It's a bug of installer for Win2000. You can make a workaround, to use up/down key on keyboard to select what to do with potentially unwanted programs. Till you select any option you are not allowed to continue, that's why Next is greyed out.

8. Robert Castles

That works. Thanks very much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.