More Encryption Means Less Privacy

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Mar 18, 2016.

1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Well:
    The Internet is global. There is no generally useful global judicial system. So "political engagement" is rather a distraction, I think.

3. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

I'd love to have the political discussion, and for sure, the market for encryption would be lessened if the TLAs stopped their unlawful bulk surveillance practices and actually obeyed the rule of law, and had not breached trust so comprehensively.

While obviously this is not the place for that political discussion, I'd note that I've attempted to engage that way in consultations regarding new laws, and can report that it's an utter waste of time: representative and well-informed views simply get ignored, and frankly, our political systems are broken and no longer respect the rule of law or constitution of modern civilised societies. It's a jungle both in-country and internationally, in that individual rights are not valued, except possibly as consumers/product.

Which means, look after yourself with whatever encryption/access controls/hardening/operational security is appropriate to your environment. It's not easy. But I am going to minimise the chances of being a victim of false positives with no redress, which chances are already abounding and getting steadily worse in frequency and impact.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.