Monitor turns off if a light switch is turned on/off

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ReverseGear, May 12, 2015.

1. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

I have a dell s2240l monitor connected to GTX 650 Ti BOOST gfx via hdmi cable . Whenever anyone in my home turns on a switch my monitor display goes off for a second . What exactly could be causing this ?

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'm not an electrician, but it sounds like when the light switch goes on, it creates a minute momentary drain on your electrical system which is just enough to trip your monitor. If your monitor has an energy saver of some kind turned on, I would try turning it off to see if it helps.

3. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

There is an energy saver function but it is turned off . Any other suggestion ?

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

It sounds like you need to have your home wiring checked by a qualified electrician.

You might also plug your monitor into a different outlet - preferably on a different circuit and see what happens.

Also, every home and computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Walmart. And if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

5. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

The site isn't opening . What do you mean by plug my monitor in a different outlet - like in someone else's pc ?

Also maybe a stupid question but can this be because my PSU isnt enough to take the load of my gfx ?

6. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Sorry, don't know what happened to that site. It was up a couple days ago. Anyway, the testers look similar to this but you will have to check your local home improvement stores for checkers for your outlets.

It could be because your PSU does not have good regulation but not because it cannot handle the load. If it could not handle the load, you would see problems at other times beside these. Do you?

Your graphics card calls for a minimum of 450W supply for your whole system but the maximum draw of the card is just 134W so 450W is pretty conservative unless you have a monster CPU, many RAM sticks and many drives.

7. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

I found the culprit , it was the cheap hdmi cable that was at fault . I connected my monitor with the old vga cable and now I dont have this problem . thanx a lot for all the help !

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Sherlock, Thanks for sharing the fix. I too had a HDMI cable issue once. Maybe we should keep that thought when ever we have a similar problem.

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Try a good HDMI cable. Cheap cables often use twisted metal-plated plastic as "wires". The voltage drop can be dramatic. But your house wiring might also be substandard :(

10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

You could probably go to Best Buy and get a good HDMI cable for a couple of hundred dollars... sorry, if this wasn't a forum you could see that I can't say that with a straight face... :argh:

11. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Amazon :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.