Monitor Noise

Discussion in 'hardware' started by xMarkx, Aug 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

My 22 inch widescreen flat panel Dell monitor (E228WFP is the model number I believe) which is almost 2 years old has had a weird problem since I got it.

When the computer is on and the monitor's display is turned off and it's on standby (the green light is yellow), the monitor makes a high pitched noise (I don't really know how to describe it) lasting about a second. It stops for a second and then repeats and follows that cycle. It is kind of annoying. I've never had a monitor do this before.

Is there something wrong with my monitor? Why would it be making this noise?

Thanks,

Mark.

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

3. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

My LCD did this right out the box. The buzzing is continuous in my case, and barley audible. You'd have to go to the back of the LCD to hear it.

I've heard suggestions about tightening up things in your monitor. Yeah, and my iPod's LCD does this too.

I think it has something to do with voltage regulation. If you turn up the brightness to the max, the buzzing almost fades away. Reducing the brightness increases the buzzing noise. The same with a particular lamp in my house. I can control how bright it is. Reducing its brightness causes the lamp to make this buzzing noise amazingly akin to my monitor's buzzing noise.

Many have pumped up the brightness using their monitor's controls and then used their graphics card's controls to dim the screen to reduce eyestrain of staring at a bright screen.

Is there something wrong? Possibly. Contact Dell. My Dell had bad capacitors once, and by the time I figured to contact Dell, the computer was past its 3 year warranty I purchased and also passed a recall deadline by Dell. Here is their online Hardware Chat address:

http://support.dell.com/support/top...t/chat/en/hardware_chat?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

I tried it several times; the reps are fine. The warranty policy is here:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19263699.aspx

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  4. axial

axial Registered Member

Apologies for not having a reference link for this info; if I find the one I had bookmarked I'll post it here.

There are several discussions online about LCD monitor noise where high-pitched monitor noise was significantly reduced by using a combination of two settings. If I remember correctly, the gist of the solution was to use the the hardware-based (i.e. built into the monitor) settings to turn down the brightness and contrast, and then using the Windows-based or graphics card driver settings to turn up the corresponding setting.

You might want to check out the forums at http://www.silentpcreview.com there's an active forum section for video cards and monitors.

5. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

6. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Thanks for the information. I will try it out on my monitor the next time I am on that computer. I will also report as to what my monitor and graphics card settings are. As far as I can remember though, the monitor was on default (75 brightness and 75 contrast) and the graphics card was on default (50 brightness and 50 contrast) with the Gamma reduced down from 50 to about 20. But I will check and correct.

However, does the situation you described apply to me if the noise is not present when the monitor is on? The noise is only present when the monitor is on standby, or turned off when the power bar is on.

Regards,

Mark.

7. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Where is the monitor plug-in for AC? Wall or switch(surge protector) I would try a different socket for power. If it still does it. Unplug the power/ and unplug the monitor cable from PC for 24 to 48 hours. Try it again. If it happens then replace the monitor or have it serviced by DELL but they'll just give you a new one or yet a Factory Service one instead.

It's either the monitor, or the monitor cable, or video card or power regulator on the monitor PCB.

8. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

The monitor is plugged into the surge protector. I was accurate earlier about the monitor and video card brightness settings.

Thanks everyone your help with regards to my monitor. It was said that Voltage Regulation might have something to do with my monitor. I reduced the brightness to 0, turned off my monitor and the noise was quieter (maybe even gone, I'll have to try it a few more times over a few days to see if it was a one time occurance). Then I turned the brightness to 100 (max), and turned off the monitor the noise was loud still.

I suppose it is kind of the opposite of what you described. What does this mean?

However, when the monitor is on there is a slight buzz which doesn't really bother me. I noticed it when doing the test described above because the buzz disappeared when the monitor was turned off and was replaced by the high pitched noise. Anyways, when I increased the brightness to 100 (max) the buzz went away just like you described.

So there are two issues:

the high pitched noise when the monitor is off or on standby which occurs when brightness is high

the buzz when the monitor is on which occurs when brightness is low

So I can’t win here!

Thanks!

Mark

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  9. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

If I do decide to return the monitor because of the buzz when on and high pitched noise when off, how would that work?

Would I be without a monitor for a while while they look at it? Or would they take the old monitor and give me a new one? Also, they might not be able to even "hear" the problem because it's only noticeable when the room is completely quiet when I'm trying to study.

Thanks,

Mark.

10. tipstir

Are you near a Wal-Mart or Target store. You can pickup a decent 18.5 LCD Widescreen Monitor for $85 and up when it's on sale. Off sale $119 and up.
    I would get a second monitor to use during your downtime. DELL will only give you a loader if you are still on warranty protection on the monitor other than that your out of luck. Your choices are to buy a new one or send it back to DELL?

11. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Thanks for your help everybody. I gave Dell a call and they are going to replace it. I hope the 2nd monitor will be okay... I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Regards,

Mark.

12. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I've personally never heard this problem with computer LCDs monitors before - CRTs often, but not LCDs. That said, it has been a problem with larger big screen LCD TVs in the past so I suspect as users buy larger computer monitors, the problem may become more widespread - compounded by the fact folks sit 2 feet in front of computer displays. For the record - it is most likely transformers buzzing as they are notorious for it - and since many newer monitors, including this particular Dell, house the power supply internally, so too does the main power transformer sit only 2 feet away.

The reason why the transformer buzzes when yours is turned off, and for others, it may do it when power is on has to do with which physical portion of the transformer is being used, that is where that required voltage is being "tapped" on the "secondary" (output side) windings of the transformer. When your monitor is off, the standby voltage is being drawn from a specific physical section of windings of the transformer, that section is generating the buzz - a vibration actually, typically a loose steel plate in the laminated core - of which there may be several dozen per inch.

This particular Dell does not have built-in speakers, so it is safe to rule out an audio issue. But that may be something to consider for future readers who might stumble on this thread via a search.
    That's good but do yourself a favor. If the new monitor has a weird problem too, don't live with it for 2 years before getting fed up and doing something about it! ;)

13. tipstir

These LCD monitors can stop working all of a sudden then after a few months you want to try to turn it on back and bang! It works! In this user case there is a defective transformer or something with the power regulator. But dell won't fix it they'll just replace new or factory service.

14. Bill_Bright

Sure - it typically is cheaper to simply replace, rather than staff, train, supply and facilitate repairs. That's actually good for consumers - bad for the environment.

15. tipstir

Sounds like your into Green way of life.. I am like that I don't pollute! But LCD and CRTs can destroy our environment. But DELL doesn't like to repair anything just reuse what they have on stock. Just takes to much man hours to repair anything today. Gone is the 48 hour burn-in test. I've repaired a large number of DELL Latitudes with bad LCD screens and DELL CRT were the worst ones to own back in the day. Now that LCD screens are more in the norm not all goes through enough testing or quality control at DELL (China DELL).

16. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

samsung monitors do the same when on. the workaround to those affected and it will only affect those who have manually adjusted the contrast /brightness levels is to have the contrast at 0 and brightness at 100% if you wish to have a dimmer screen to work with. the problem only occurs when the brightness control is below 75%

17. Bill_Bright

It must be an item by item thing. I have 5 Samsungs here, two 2220wm-has 22" widescreens, one 245BW 24" widescreen, and two 17" 4:3 and none make any noise.

Well, I am not a treehugger, but I don't like toxic waste getting into our landfills.

it is not LCDs or CRTs, but ALL electronics that causes concerns. This is a concern because as I noted, and you repeated, it is cheaper to replace than to repair. That's fine for our check books, just not for the environment, or future generations.

18. tipstir

Well I always try to repair/replace the LCD panels it can be done most of it just components need to be replace in 15 minutes. Some clients don't want the added expense to do that. STill doesn't really take that time to do. But all these systems are leased with DELL. DELL can either give you a factory serviced replacement (means they had tried to fix it) or a brand new one.

In fact LCD some HDTV that use LCD panel can create this effect with the buzzing. Not everyone going to hear this noise. On the LCD Monitor you're run on top of that hardware. Turning up the brightness or down shouldn't be the fix. That monitor has issues and needs to be fixed. Just don't sit there with the problem.

There was a report on USA TV on 60 minutes on the dumping of all these electronic equipments (computers, CRTs, LCDs an etc) like where they end up. China is where. I know we have companies that come and collect old CRTs, LCDs and systems to either destroy or resale. They're called ECO but who knows what happens when they leave our client sites?

That's why the CBS report on 60 minutes had shown where the electronics where going to China. Then motherboards, PCB and the internal metal was extracted, but to do that you have to burn or heat the toxic boards.

It's not good for any environment!

19. Bill_Bright

You repair the panels? I doubt it. I suspect you mean you replace backlights and replace or repair the inverters - but not the panels.

20. tipstir

Not everyone going to understand the terminology. But yes the inverters and backlight. The panels usually get replaced. Those crack ones.

21. Bill_Bright

Right. That's why we (helpers) should take the opportunities to teach by using the right terminologies so there is a better understanding.

In this case, I think it is important for LCD monitor users (whether with notebook monitors, or PC monitors) to know that backlight and inverter problems are not uncommon, and most importantly, can be repaired fairly easily by a competent repair person, and less expensively than replacing the whole monitor - or worse, the entire notebook. This too helps cut down on ewaste, which is being exported and dumped, not only in poor Chinese village landfills, but Indian and African landfills too. :(

I think everyone understands we should recycle and not pollute with hazardous waste. But unfortunately, the "not in my backyard" syndrome comes into play too often when it comes to building recycling centers.

Oh well, this is a bit OT.

22. tipstir

Are you sure your not hugging a tree right now? :D
    PS I do agree with you 100%!
    TTL

23. Bill_Bright

lol Well, as I just tossed a plastic Coke bottle into the regular trash can, I would say it is not that sincere of a hug. :oops:

24. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I got the new monitor. It's a "refurbished" one... is that a good or bad thing?

The new monitor (with new cables as well) still unfortunately makes the buzz and whine noises but they aren't quite as bad. No dead pixels that I can see either. But the screen does look a little different - a little bluer and darker/lighter in some places. I think that's just because the viewing angle is really bad?

I've done what I can before the warrenty expires anyways. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Mark.

25. tipstir

Mark,

You're getting bad service from them. They sent you a crappy replacement. You need to call them up and talk to a supervisor and explain that your unhappy with the replacement and it's worst than what you had prior. I would send that back even if you had to shell out some more cash to get a better model which would be new and not a factory service replacement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.