Mondo & Mindi - Disaster recovery solution

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jun 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi all,

Backups are important. This is why I wrote a tutorial explaining how to use Mondo system rescue & recovery software, and its Mindi subcomponent, which creates bootable backup ISO images.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/mondo.html

Enjoy.
    Mrk

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Thanks for this; never heard of these till now : what fantastic and interesting tools, I'll be having a look.
    Now that I'm mostly living in Linux, back-ups have become a more real and immediate issue.

My experiences coloured by MS software borks and HW failures with tweaked MS systems and data lost.

Linux reinstalls are a breeze by comparison, but tweaks and settings lost can be bit of a pain.
    ( LOL, particularly if I cant remember what I actually did: I've got to keep 'templates' around as I'm not intuitively there yet. )
    It has been interesting realising how much 'froth' is associated with MS OS installs compared to a lean Linux set-up pared down to what I actually use/need on a daily basis.

The Linux set-ups and recovery issues are different and a new paradigm required, but some core similarities.

Just for info -and not free- : for me for recovery it's Terabyte v the rest. ;)
    Not dissimilar interfaces in some ways to these Mondo/Mindi.

Always willing to look at something else.
    ;)

One thing I have been struggling with a bit is setting up systems from scratch with home partition where all 'data' goes to the home by default.
    I've sort of got some clumsy manual workarounds for saving files/images/ emails ; but: Any links ??

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  3. incursari

incursari Registered Member

Thanks Mrk for the tutorials.

@Longboard, Does Terabytes restores Linux partitions with mbr on a dual boot system with Windows.
    Currently I'm using Paragon, it can backup just Linux partitions, First track and mbr. To keep backup sizes small, I exclude Windows Partitions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.