Mondo & Mindi - Disaster recovery solution

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jun 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi all,

Backups are important. This is why I wrote a tutorial explaining how to use Mondo system rescue & recovery software, and its Mindi subcomponent, which creates bootable backup ISO images.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/mondo.html

Enjoy.
    Mrk

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Thanks for this; never heard of these till now : what fantastic and interesting tools, I'll be having a look.
    Now that I'm mostly living in Linux, back-ups have become a more real and immediate issue.

My experiences coloured by MS software borks and HW failures with tweaked MS systems and data lost.

Linux reinstalls are a breeze by comparison, but tweaks and settings lost can be bit of a pain.
    ( LOL, particularly if I cant remember what I actually did: I've got to keep 'templates' around as I'm not intuitively there yet. )
    It has been interesting realising how much 'froth' is associated with MS OS installs compared to a lean Linux set-up pared down to what I actually use/need on a daily basis.

The Linux set-ups and recovery issues are different and a new paradigm required, but some core similarities.

Just for info -and not free- : for me for recovery it's Terabyte v the rest. ;)
    Not dissimilar interfaces in some ways to these Mondo/Mindi.

Always willing to look at something else.
    ;)

One thing I have been struggling with a bit is setting up systems from scratch with home partition where all 'data' goes to the home by default.
    I've sort of got some clumsy manual workarounds for saving files/images/ emails ; but: Any links ??

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  3. incursari

incursari Registered Member

Thanks Mrk for the tutorials.

@Longboard, Does Terabytes restores Linux partitions with mbr on a dual boot system with Windows.
    Currently I'm using Paragon, it can backup just Linux partitions, First track and mbr. To keep backup sizes small, I exclude Windows Partitions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.