Modify new Gmail interface to be more like classic Gmail

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

[Age before beauty, functionality before style. I've written a tutorial showing how to modify the new Gmail interface to look and behave more like the old (classic) Gmail, including overview of functional and ergonomic problems in the new inbox - slow loading, crashes, Roboto fonts legibility, bad email reply predictions, visual clashes between themes and icons, how to use other font types through GreaseMonkey and Tampermonkey script overrides, text labels, several other improvements, and more. Have fun.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gmail-new-looks-change.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hey Mrk. I haven't read it yet but I will sometime today.

I needed to weigh in on this because like many have used Gmail a very long time. The past many weeks grew increasingly frustrated with it's slow loading and other switched around settings etc.

It became so terribly awful that it required going to Settings and in the Display Density Tab resorted to COMPACT view which vastly speeds up loading like on the old version.

Guess for some low RAM and/or low BANDWIDTH systems it's a bit much to meet the full spectrum of the new feature they updated it with. And that's OK, since COMPACT view is a choice.

3. Mrkvonic

You can also use basic html - which is the non-js old school interface if you like.
    Mrk

4. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Wow, thanks as usual, Mrk!

5. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

Thanks for this post.
    I've already changed back as much as I can and appreciate this post very much.
    What are those Google people smoking? :confused::confused:

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I also can't believe how dumb and untalented a lot of web-developers are. Both Gmail and Yahoo Mail are jokes when it comes to usability, speed and look and feel.

7. Mrkvonic

*I also can't believe how dumb and untalented a lot of <insert any group> are.

I fixed it for you.

Mrk

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Couldn't agree more. We seen freelance kids do better at web-development than the ding dongs that fudge up what was reasonably sound to begin with. They just can't leave well enough alone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.