Modern software development is cancer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum. I've merrily spawned this important article on the core problems of modern software development, the parasitic self-sustaining mechanism and self-serving purpose, buzzwords, basic human needs and product development, current examples and future trends, and a call for change. Have fun.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/software-development-cancer.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. itman

itman Registered Member

Notably:

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

concerning the control panel - the older one will disappear in time. pity, but true. at least win10 is functional here without any flaw so far. but i remember Kaspersky words about Microsofts documents about API, he wasnt amused ;)

4. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I would take Mrk's article and distill it in four letters: KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Complexity for the sake of complexity doesn't make life easier. Stick with what works.

I'm still on Windows 7 because it works, period. When software companies don't turn out reliable products that meet an end user need, it goes nowhere. That's all that should count.

And upgrading for sake of upgrading is a dead end - no one wants a perpetual beta.

5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

not sure when they will merge both, but i dont see a real reason to avoid windows 10. windows 8 is not even better. to use current new board chips windows 10 will be mandatory. sorry.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

What's that got to do with missing functionality and half-baked products on the UI level?
    Mrk

7. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Mrk makes a good point. New isn't always better.

The main reason for new seems to be to keep developers busy not to make life less complex for consumers.

In doing all of that, the reason for having software is being missed in the first place.

8. karad

karad Registered Member

Thank you Mrkvonic for your fantastic and full of humour article . I agree with you 100%.
    In the past you wrote lots of things to help people in a variety of subjects, now,with this,you put things in the right perspective.

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Haven't read everything, but there is still plenty of good software available. I try to stay away from bloated and resource hungry apps. What is the true cancer is web development, most websites are becoming bloated as hell and uglier/unhandy by the day.

10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

BTW, I forgot to add that I completely agree with your comment about browser interfaces. What a shame that Chrome, Edge and Firefox don't give options to put tabs on bottom, it's like the developers are completely retarded. So I have to applaud Vivaldi for giving this option. Also, I think Android in general is a very badly designed mobile OS when it comes to the GUI.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.